T'was The Night Before Thanksgiving

T"was the night before Thanksgiving and all through the house, the sounds of baking could be heard.  Bowls of batter being mixed, vegetables being chopped, and pie crust being rolled out.  
It appears we are starting a new tradition.  A certain wee girl wanted to spend the night so she could help cook.  So off to the kitchen we went, a stool, a small rolling pin and lots of careful attention.  Mei-Ling loves to cook and bake with me and I love having her beside me learning, just as her mother and auntie did at her age.  Family recipes and traditions being passed along to another generation.  Recipes of my great grandmothers and on down the line.  I suspect these recipes were handed down to my great grandmother from her mother and beyond.  There is something comforting, a deep bond with the past at times like this, and I love it.
Tonight, Mei-Ling had her first experience in marbling a cake and she did a great job.  We made a Pumpkin Chocolate Harvest Cake for tomorrow and of course we made our traditional  Apple Pies.  Casseroles ready to be baked tomorrow and the turkey too, complete with a fig and sweet onion glaze.   Life is good and we have much to be Thankful for on this special time of the year. God is very good indeed !







Happy Thanksgiving

Comments

Melanie said…
So sweet to have your precious granddaughter helping you out in the kitchen. Your pies look wonderful!
Ah, lucky you and lucky Mei-Ling...I wish my granddaughters lived a little closer, though they are all her for Thanksgiving and my grandsons live only a few miles away. Mei-Ling is so beautiful and gifted and able to appreciate the connection to you and all her gggrandmothers, too. Your post makes me feel all's right with the world, at least with your world!
Carole said…
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones !

Popular Posts