Finnish Pulla Bread



Its the perfect afternoon for making Finnish Pulla Bread.  The stove is warm, not super hot, so setting the dough beside the stove provides the perfect place for the dough to raise.  Its one of those chilly, cloudy days that begs to have a house filled with the good smells of home made bread and cinnamon rolls.  I made enough dough to make both, which will please my husband greatly.   As has been my custom for over 30 years, whenever I knead bread dough, I pray for my children, and now my grandchildren, that their lives be full of goodness and wisdom.  Its a good way to spend that time.  No bread machines for me, it would take away this quiet time when I feel such a deep connection to the ways of old, and the future of my family.  How I love that even the simple things in life, feel sacred, holy and so connected.

Comments

I have to concede that owning a bread machine makes it possible for busy famililes to enjoy good fresh bread.
I don't own one--I enjoy the process of making our bread. There is something simple and elemental about kneading a mass of dough--thinking of the generations of women who have done so, knowing that I am making something basic and nourishing for my family.

Popular Posts