Our Belated Thanksgiving





Due to my nasty head cold, we delayed Thanksgiving Dinner until Sunday evening.  What fun we had !  I cooked up a storm, 4 hours cooking on Saturday evening and a full 8 hours of standing on my feet cooking on Sunday.  I loved every minute of it.  Not a mix or packaged food to be found.  What a joy it is to work lovingly for my family, preparing all the foods eaten on Thanksgiving in our family for generations.  Traditions are such a lovely way to connect family.  Once again I reminded the children that they are the 11th great grandchildren of one of the pilgrims, Francis Cooke, and when the little ones are a bit older, I will tell them, that they are the 12th great grandchildren of the very people that celebrated the first Thanksgiving !    We were not able to get a photo of Yen that turned out good, that sweet boy is in constant motion.

Comments

We've cut back in recent years on the number of dishes served for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Leftovers are good--up to a point.
I used home-grown butternut squash this year in place of pumpkin in the pies, plus a pie from our own frozen blackberries for Jim who doesn't care for pumpkin. Mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes likewise from the garden. Frugality can taste very good!
aimee said…
Loved the pics of the girls and your tablescape too!
Hope you feel better soon-colds are miserable. Wondering how Melanie is...
Be blessed,
Aimee

Popular Posts