What Shall We Give The Children ?


What shall we give the children ?
Christmas is almost here.
Toys and games and playthings,
As we do every year ?
Yes, for the magic of toyland
Is part of the Yuletide lore
To gladden the hearts of childhood,
But I shall give something more.
I shall give them patience,
A more sympathetic ear,
A little more time for laughter,
Or tenderly dry a tear.
I shall take time to teach them
The joy of doing some task,
I'll try to find more time to answer
More of the questions they ask.
Time to read books together,
And take long walks in the sun,
Time for a bedtime story,
After the day is done,
I shall give these to my children,
Weaving a closer tie,
Knitting our lives together
With gifts that money can't buy.

~Source unknown~

Comments

Carole said…
I LOVE this poem ! And it is so what I'm trying to teach my daughters... even if sometimes the material side of things gets predominant (like now, we did our Christmas shopping yesterday and they were all hyped up !) - they are children and they will learn that their possessions are not the key to their happiness anyway (no other choice I repeat it so often !)
Aunt Jenny said…
I love this post alot..so true!
Hey...I am doing a handknitted sock giveaway on my blog if you are interested.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Popular Posts