Simple Living




I read yesterday that GMO corn has been linked to organ failure in lab rats. Not a good thing. This wasn't some whacky study either. http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100112/cm_huffpost/420365 Its a bit scary since so much of what we consume in the U.S. has corn in it and who knows how much of that corn used is GMO. We don't know if the corn syrup used in the soda we drink may be made from GMO corn or if those corn chips we so easily munch on for a treat are made from it either. Most of my readers know I avoid corn syrup and even posted a nice old time recipe for a corn syrup substitute
I often wonder about the increase in things like autism and asthma that we see today. One study connected the lack of cases of autism among the Amish and decided that its due to no immunizations, which it could be, but they also don't use disposable diapers that are full of that Super absorbent material that is so highly toxic. In my childhood, I knew no one with asthma, no one with a peanut allergy, no one with autism.. What are we doing to ourselves in the name of convenience and ease ? I read, or more like, tried to read the list of ingredients on some hand lotion the other day and decided to just stick to some lanolin. I like knowing how to pronounce what I use on my body or put in it. I like things simple. I like my food simple too. Preferably from the garden and dairy and eggs right from my own yard. Its less complicated that way for me. I can rest easy knowing just what is in what I eat for the most part.
We live in a complicated world. There are some really wonderful advancements that make our life so much easier and safer but then there are some things that are purely optional that come with risk, health risks, like the GMO foods and the multitude of chemicals that try invade our lives on a daily basis. Carpet full of formaldehyde, furniture made of glue and wood fiber again with formaldehyde that has been shown to throw off gases for years. We have our homes literally buzzing with electricity and sleep with electric blankets and electric clocks right by our heads. We use things on a daily basis that are harmful but then head out to the store to buy organic while wearing clothes treated with Teflon.
It may seem like a lot of work to live simply, but to me, the pay off seems worth it.
Thanks to Janette for reminding me about plastic baby bottles and storage containers

Comments

Lisa said…
You might try plain coconut oil as another option for skincare. My dh has been using it on his face and his skin is doing great. I originally bought the coconut oil for cooking but when dh ran out of his usual cream, I just handed him the jar of oil. I'm craving more pics of Yen so I hope you'll post more soon :)
~marci~ said…
Thanks for "simple" thoughts. I agree wholeheartedly...and I am going to try some coconut oil too! I react to most lotions.
Janette said…
I am convinced that the rise in autism is linked to the rise in using those wonderful plastic baby bottles. We warm them with the formula in the microwave....
novascotiagal said…
I used glass bottles, and never used anything plastic in the microwave. This Christmas my husband even gave me a stainless steel interior coffee maker, so I won't be heating my water in plastic there either. Now I know the lining in cans has the same nasty plastic in it as the bottles, and I'm rarely using canned anything now - glass only if I can find it, or doing without.

I too am convinced that all sorts of illnesses - some cancers, autism, learning disabilities, etc, are being set off by the build up of plastic and other artificial chemicals in our bodies. But it's going to be hard to prove, and the plastic making, and using companies are going to resist this because there is so much convenience... and money of course, at stake.

Popular Posts