Gratitude


This morning is the first morning in a long time that is my own, now I am not complaining at all, just stating a fact. I have to admit that I missed hearing that sweet little voice calling, and singing in the crib in the guest room. Every morning Mei-Ling woke up singing a song that had words about being happy. As soon as I would go in the room, she would lift up her arms and say, "hugs" and what a joyful way to start the day. But today, the day is slow and easy. Doing my chores for the first time in several days as Emery had been doing them for me so I could be inside caring for Mei. I decided today that a big part of my joy in life comes from being outside, looking at the trees, the birds, the way the clouds are formed, the feel of the breeze, the color of the sky, the way the animals respond to me and seeing the dark rich soil produce food for us. I love the sound the back door makes as it slams shut and how the wood pile looks stacked so neatly on the back porch, knowing it is the very thing that keeps us warm. I can see in my minds eye, the way Emery looks as he swings his axe chopping wood for us and see the big smile on his face as he brings in a load of wood to place next to the stove.
This morning as I filled the chicken waterers, I thought about how much good it does me to do this kind of work, good for the body and good for the soul. I am grateful to be able to smell fresh hay and sweet feed and hear the sound of the chain makes as I lock the green farm gates.
I never tire of just stopping in my tracks to watch a squirrel or in spring watch the antics of a new kid leap across the pasture. And when I am through with chores, I come inside and walk down the hallway, the floor creaks and squeaks in a few places which makes it home in some special way. I see the view out the window, which is dressed in calico curtains and smile. My rocker waiting for me. My nose still cold from being outside, tea kettle spitting on the wood stove, nearly ready for tea making. Knitting in a basket by my chair. Silence broken only by a passing car and Harry barking at the low flying vultures that have discovered a dead skunk in the creek bed that follows our property line on the south.
I am grateful for this life of mine, so full of love, so full of my dreams come true. I feel secure, and content and those are the things we most long for in life I think. Life is good and I am so filled with all the things I count important in life and not a one of them is something you buy.

Comments

Popular Posts