A Prideful Heart

This morning I was thinking about how damaging a prideful heart can be, not only to the one that carries it within but to those around them. Having a prideful heart makes a person defensive, say unkind things, rally support from others to be on their side, and turn loved ones against one another. It can even split families apart.
Often times what appears as a prideful heart is born from the complete opposite, a feeling of inferiority which manifests itself in a defensive mode.
A simple comment from someone can suddenly seem like an attack on how we do things if we are feeling inadequate or feeling a bit lazy. Humility and openness can change all this negativity we might feel into something good. It will keep relationships healthier and open up a place within our hearts where we can actually feel good.
Having pride in the way we do things and the dedication we have to the task at hand, is not the same kind of pride we see in a prideful heart.

Comments

Carole said…
As I'm coming home weary and tired after a hard day, your post really hit home. Two of my students almost fought in class tonight and I guess that their prideful hearts had a lot to do with it. With your permission, I will give them this post to translate and see if they are sensitive to the wisdom it entails.
~katie~ said…
Patty,

Great insight and so true. I daily have to evaluate my motives and make sure all glory for the accomplishments in my life go to God. Thank you for this post.

Blessings,
Katie
Colossians 4:6
Patty said…
Certainly Carole you may share it with your class

Popular Posts