Changes for me, in so many ways

It's hard to explain, actually its hard to even define, but something profound has taken place in my life since changing the living room. I suppose it would be possible to look for deep psychological reasons for the change in the way I feel after "tossing out" the past and stepping up to the contemporary, but for now, I will settle for looking at the outcome.
I went shopping the other day with Emery and saw so many beautiful things at HomeGoods, a store that usually has me wanting a zillion things, but instead I came out of the store without one item. There were two items I wanted but they were on the high end of the price scale and we opted to wait until all the painting was done before we purchase them. A piece of artwork for over the sofa and a huge mirror for another wall in the room. But the point for me was, that for the first time in maybe 30 years of having a home, I feel satisfied with just what I have. The sparse decorating feels so good and so balanced that there is no place, no room for one more thing. It feels complete. Just right. I even went to Goodwill and came out of the store with nothing, instead of a bag full of trinkets. In the past I was always looking for that one more item that would add to the room in some way, but would almost always end up collecting dust or in two weeks time blended so into the environment that I forgot about them.
In some strange way, decorating more modern is a step beyond living in fear of the now, the world we live in. Living old fashioned for me was like a statement of not being content with the time and place God put me in. Wanting to do things the way Grandma did them was connected to a place within me that said, I don't like where I am now, wish I was living in a different time.
Some of the way we lived was fear motivated, not the shaking in your boots kind of fear but the "what if ?" kind of fear. What if the world fails and we need to be able to make our own soap, or spin our own wool, or grow our own food and make our own shoes ? That certainly has roots in my religious training as a kid in a private school system where you hear all the time about "the time of the end" and "fleeing to the wilderness when the Sunday Laws come".
Then in the Mennonite world, technology and modern life is viewed as pulling you into "evil" only its not the things that are evil, it's just we fear our own self, our fear that we can't remain good people when faced with choices.
I have tossed aside all these fears of the "what if's". Most of them never come and we are so capable of figuring out solutions when we need them. At least I feel confident that I can.
I am no longer afraid of the times we live in. If God knows more than we do, which I assume we all believe He does, then I am sure he knows far more about technology than cell phones, computers and television, and how to use them in the correct way. I can't see Him wandering Heaven looking like Moses in the movie. That's a bit out dated, but it is that very view of Him that keeps so many viewing the old fashioned life as the "godly life" and new things as suspicious and perhaps some form of evil. I have had to rethink my own way through this same sort of mindset.
A quick look through history will tell you that sin has been around in every form from the beginning of time despite the lack of modern technology.
Unkindness, living in a self indulgent way, hatred, and the like are in our hearts and have nothing at all to do with how we dress, how old fashioned we appear or if we have a television or not. I had to realize this by taking the bold step of re-fashioning my life and my surroundings.
By tossing out the fear and all its trappings. I have never felt more at peace, more content. I am done trying to get the "wow" factor by being able to do so many old fashioned things.
I remember dressing "plain" and getting so much attention that I didn't ever have to be concerned with what was really on the inside. Even being a fat plain person is fine, everyone just assumes you are fat because you are an amazing baker so it makes sense to them. So folks smile and say to themselves, "ah she must be a wonderful cook." when really fat is fat and comes from eating too much and we eat too much to feed something that is eating us inside, which kinda makes you wonder what is out of order in our hearts. With all this fear gone, I am loosing weight, 5.2 lbs this week alone.
Now before you get ticked off for something I wrote, remember that I am writing here about MY experience and not any one elses. I just know that for me, tossing out the fear and all its trappings has given me more than I could have ever imagined.
Life is good.

Comments

Deanna said…
I so appreciate the way you are willing to open up and share your heart. As so often happens, your post today has given me food for thought.
The Stricklands said…
I am so proud of you! I turn 50 tomorrow and am determined to lose the pounds I gained this past year. This has been a year of internal change for me as well. When God does the changing, the result is always peace and joy for me. Have a wonderful day Patty.
cheryl said…
A very profound post and thank you for sharing your life with us !
Sandra said…
Are the oil lamps going away too?
Anonymous said…
Patty, I'm just so proud of you!
Dana and Daisy said…
It takes a lot of courage to post something so honest! I'm proud of you for being so open. Let me know if you want to sell your spinning wheel! lol!
Patty said…
Keeping the spinning wheel and the oil lamps, well at least my 3 favorite lamps : )
Patty said…
Keeping the spinning wheel and the oil lamps, well at least my 3 favorite lamps : )
Julian said…
Patty,
Thanks for sharing, and being honest with your readers. I am a busy mom of 6 kids, and we have too much stuff! We are having a yard sale soon, and I donate many things to charities. I am realizing less is best. I love the wonderful things of the olden days, and the look as well. I know the feeling of goodwill shopping, and trinket after trinket being put into the basket. I am not fond of these days. I wish women would visit more over a cup of coffee, and share their lives, and skills with eachother. I often feel I was born in the wrong time.I grew up in a cult, but have always admired the Amish way of life, except their bans and such, and beliefs. But I can also see how maybe I can take this desire for this kind of friendship, and try to bring some of it back with other ladies. I will be thinking about your post this evening , and tomarrow as I go about cleaning my house. I would wonder what you would say about this, and what loving advice you might bring me.
Christina
tiffany said…
This might be my favorite of all your posts.
Carol Murdock said…
Patty, We all have our own definition of what "Living The Good Life Is".Remember the scripture: " I would have it that you all be healthy, happy and prosperous".
novascotiagal said…
I suppose simplicity in the mind and spirit isn't necessarily helped by having lots of objects to remind us of simpler times... they are still a lot of objects to fill the space. I see simplicity embodied in the simple, clean, serenity of your new look. It also has a look of, well, freedom - hope and confidence looking forward. It's lovely - and your inner response to it is really positive. It was a leap of faith on your part, and look how it is working! I'm looking forward to see where this takes you. Thanks for sharing.
Tatersmama said…
Patty, What a beautiful, inspirational post! I loved this

Life is a journey, and I'm glad that you're finding your direction.
(meant in the sweetest kind of way)
I'm still searching, but with God's grace, I'll find my way.. I'm sure of it.
Janette said…
Deep post. I wish you did not feel like you have to justify it at the end. Some people just have not yet left the place of fear- and they are the ones who do not yet "get it".
Patty said…
Not justifying Janette. I must work at making myself more plain. Just trying to ward off the "no me" sort of comments. A disclaimer of sorts, its about me and my experience and not anyone elses.
Unknown said…
Patty,

Having known you for years, and travelled the same path up and down, back and forth I am so proud of you for your honesty.

I too have made changes... nothing too drastic, but I can't live in a way that isn't true to myself. I have kept God first, but I just don't think he gives a fig about my dress as long as it's decent and modest.

About living in the past; you did it beautifully and you shared the fun! But yes, I know, we must live where we are and in the present.

I kept my kerosene lamps too... *wink*.. We really need to get together someday soon!!!

Love you,

Kelly

Popular Posts