Made My Choice

It's not often that I lay awake in bed but last night I did...thinking. Thinking about the choices Emery gave me about getting a new house or doing our house over if that's what I wanted. Admittedly, I feel a little like a spoiled child. Having whatever I want. I looked at new furniture yesterday and took some on line tests to find what my style is. Funny thing, last night when I was laying awake thinking about all this stuff, I realized I am perfectly content with what I have. I don't want a new house, or new furniture....well maybe a new sofa and chair but in the style we have grown to love. I might enjoy having new siding on the house, bat and board so the house is restored to its original look from the turn of the century when it was built. I might enjoy building on one more room and a nice big porch, but those are things we have had for plans for years. I love that my husband gave me this amazing offer and saw all the love in the world in his eyes as he gave me so much, but I love my simple old furniture, like the cradle by the wood stove, the old deacons bench, the little chair we paid $8 for that the grand-babies love so much because it is small in size and easy to climb on to. I love the kerosene lamps that light our quiet nights and those things wouldn't fit into the style the tests said was mine. I could never change the cedar wood work or paint it. Emery's perfection in craftsmanship is seen in each window frame and window sill. So today I will sit back and love what we have even more, knowing it is the perfect choice for me. I will sweep my wooden floors, thankful that I don't need to run a vacuum. I will make a fire in the stove to chase off the morning chill and put the tea kettle on to boil. I will clean the chimneys of the kerosene lamps and sit in the rocker made of deep dark wood and spin some wool. I will glance at the hand dipped candles hanging off the pegs and feel good about having made them and admire how they look hung in bunches. I will walk down the hall, smiling at how the floor tilts just a tiny bit and love it. This is home and I love it.
Life is good. Some things do remain constant !

Comments

Deanna said…
I have the very same red checked napkins in that last photo. Do you have the tablecloth, too? That's what is currently on my kitchen table.

I think your home is very cozy and just right for you and Emery. Enjoy your blessings!
Patty said…
Hi Deanna, I have the tablecloth too and in light blue also
novascotiagal said…
It's nice you had the opportunity, and could be free to make a well considered choice - the right one for you. It will be all the more dear to you.
Dana and Daisy said…
I know how you feel. It would be hard for me to leave my gardens and things I have nurtured to make this my version of a beautiful place to live.

What a generous and loving gift he offered. I like th e idea of adding that big porch, because I know how much you would all enjoy sitting out there on warm evenings!
What a blessing it is to be content, Patty! I love your home with all it's trimmings and hand-made items...love the candles too!
Renee said…
Your home is warm, inviting and lovely! What a wonderful thing to have choices and then find yourself content in the decision you made. Have a blessed day!
debi said…
This is the choice I felt you would make. Your house is home and a cozy one at that. I have a similar old home and even though it needs some repairs I could never leave it. My grown kids would be so very sad also. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us each day. God Bless you and your family.
Melanie said…
What a wonderful - but yet very hard - choice Emery gave to you. I'm glad you chose to stay where you are. From the photos you post on your blog, your home looks so inviting and warm and cozy and lovely. It is HOME. It is where your heart is.

Popular Posts