Some thoughts on what we eat

The U.S. ranks 47th on list of life expectancy according to country according to the
CIA WORLD FACT BOOK . We spend huge amounts of money on food and healthy living in this country, but still we rank 47th. We eat too much for one thing, but maybe more than what we eat, most of us don't exercise, we don't work hard, we don't grow our food and have sweat on our brow. So many of the poor folk live in concrete jungles with televisions and Cheetos. No fresh air. Families are scattered and not a lot of connecting with others, unless its by email or blogs. Children texting their parents and parents just calling kids on their cell to find out where the children are, instead of spending time together. I can't help but wonder when I look at the list of nations ahead of us on this life expectancy list, if family life doesn't play a part in the outcome more than say eating organic food or consuming this kind of diet compared to another.
Maybe we are dying inside from a loneliness that comes from not having family near and dear. Maybe we don't socialize enough daily. I know so many people that eat super healthy, and are miserable creatures, filled with stress and uncertainty which is so damaging to the body. I wonder if we aren't putting the horse before the cart in a way.... trying to fix our bodies by food when we really need connection and a spiritual life that transcends words, cute pictures and the right phrases. We need health from all areas, but all the good food in the world will not cure loneliness, stress and emptiness and we all know those are the very things that rob us of vitality.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of good eating habits, but I just wonder if we need to take care of the spiritual, social side of our lives a whole lot more than we do.

Comments

novascotiagal said…
I'm careful about food too, and all, but:

There was one time, perhaps ten years ago, when I was very, very sad. Deeply grieving for months... and I could tell that this was very bad for my health. I was scared that I would literally die from sorrow, because I could tell my body chemistry was compromised from grief. I could feel the stress inside.
My grief did eventually ease, and I could feel the spiritual load lighten, and the physical crisis passed... but after experiencing the physical toll of only a relatively brief (but intense) time of spiritual isolation and sorrow, I would be the first to say it probably has a profound effect on the body. I can imagine that even less intense, but long term emptiness of spirit, and lack of companionship, family, peace, would have detrimental effects on health.

Popular Posts