The Kitchen Table










Don't even know what got me thinking about it, but early this morning, long before the sun was up and long before I wanted to climb out from under the covers, I started thinking about Kitchen Tables and how they have lost their place of honor in the modern home. To get you started thinking about it, visualize "Little House on The Prairie" Table in front of the fireplace, meals served there, homework done there, pies made there, bread dough kneaded there, Pa read from the Scriptures from the head of the table while the children sat there. Even on "Leave It To Beaver", the kitchen table was the hub on the activity for the house. June Cleaver mixed her cookie dough at that table, set out milk and cookies for the boys when they came home from school on that table, meals were served at that table and some very deep questions were talked about right there. Even Aunt Bea on Andy Mayberry spent a good portion of her time right at her kitchen table, creating more than just food to put on it, but memories...pickles were made there and tea was served there. Same for the "Waltons" So much of life was around the kitchen table. It was a work surface, for baking, canning, sewing, home work, prayer and board games. Now, we have countertops for work surfaces and this new thing of baking centers, my how singular, no one can sit down next to you and chat while you work. You back is to everyone.
I so well remember my mother rolling out pie dough for the holidays at our kitchen table and I sat across from her and watched and learned. As children we always got a piece of the dough to form into some sort of tiny pie, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, folded in half and we learned to crimp dough with a fork that way. Baking the tiny creation and deciding we were "good" pie bakers. We watched our mothers and grandmothers faces as they prepared meals, saw their words come out of their mouths like golden bits of instruction. I could tell if they were teaching me something and I wasn't quite doing it right... their expressions would change or you could notice that stifled grin when it was really silly what I was doing.
Our kitchen table was the hub of our house....breakfast, lunch and supper was eaten there. We didn't have a dinning room until the children were grown. The kitchen was it. I rolled out gingerbread men with the girls there, kneaded bread dough, and sewed there too. Machine at one end and the cutting board at the other. We had school there and did crafts there. We sliced bushels of peaches there and sat down after they were canned, exhausted, sipping iced meadow tea. That table hosted lots of laughter when games were played and it was the place were many lessons were taught, life lessons where a tear might even have been shed. It was the place where friends of mine sat as we sipped coffee and talked, eating some doughnuts perhaps that were made at this very same table. We might even shell peas together as we sipped our coffee. It was that kind of table, busy, full of life. One time a friend of the childrens was over for a visit and someone came to the door asking for me, this little girl told them I was in my room. I laughed a bit at hearing that and she said, "well you are always there, so I figured it was your room ! Her house was not one with a kitchen table.
How did we get away from this wonder of the home ? Is it too hard to have a multipurpose item like a table ? Did women just want their own space ? I am glad we kept our kitchen table and didn't put in some Island. Remember, no man/woman is an island unto himself/herself : )
I say, bring back the kitchen table and I bet families would just be a bit more together.

Comments

This is a wonderful post. At least we always ate together as a family at least twice a day. And we did other things there too, but not as much as when the kitchen was the warmest room in the house and there wasn't that much to tempt people to spend time in their bedrooms............You reminded me a lovely memory from my childhood. My grandmother always gave me a piece of dough to play with when she was baking. I remember taking it out to the back steps(!) and kneading it on the concrete for a while. I remember also doubtfully asking my grandmother if it was supposed to be that gray color! She told me it was ok and baked it and when he came home from work my grandfather would eat it and declare it to be the best cookie in the world. Well, he was certainly the best grandfather!
Unknown said…
It really is fascinating to think about. I dont have an island or a whole lot of counterspace so ideally I should use the kitchen table, except that ours is kind of short and Im really tall for a woman so it doesnt quite work. But I do use it to fold laundry and send the piles off with the kids to go put in their drawers, and yes, we eat there as well. My kindergartener does his homework there while his little brother colors on the other side.

It's not a great table, in fact one that we found abandoned by (not in) our dumpster, but it does the job.
em said…
Our kitchen table still s the hub of the house - there we do everything from preparing the meal and eating it to paying our bills, writing letters and having those lovely Scandinavian bread meals while solving the worlds problems.
Margaretha
Anonymous said…
I live in an old farmhouse with hardly any counter space. The kitchen is not big enough for a good sized table...so I just have a smaller sized table there where I do all of my kitchen work. But our dining room table is used for bible study,school, eating together, sewing, board games, folding laundry,etc. Thanks for reminding me of the simple things in life, the ones that are truly important.
Never Settle said…
We practically lived in the kitchen growing up. It's still the busiest place in my mother's home and in mine.

We stand around our kitchen now cleaning, cooking, eating, talking, but most importantly- sharing our lives. There is a counter that separates the kitchen from the dining room table, but the space is small enough that we are still close together.

At our table, we make crafts, prepare meals, bake holiday goodies, do homework, play games and sometimes we just sit and talk. We eat almost every meal there- not zoned out in front of the TV. Our kitchen table has certainly brought us closer together.

Thanks for this wonderful post.
Carolyn said…
I love your article on the kitchen table. Looking back my family did everything there together. My girls always worked in the kitchen on their homework and I was always in there with an apron on. We wanted to be near each other, even when we had a big house. The same is true of my Grandmother and her kitchen. I look forward to trying your canned apple pie filling. Thanks.
Aunt Jenny said…
My grandma's kitchen table was such a part of my childhood!! I try to have our kitchen table be the hub our our house still and it is!! I put notes there for loved ones, snacks for the kids after school, homework is done there, books are read there...and cookies are rolled out for sure. I think it is important to have that. We have a very old house..no island or snack bar type set up..just the table right in the middle and I wouldnt' change a thing about that!! I love seeing your pictures!!
Aunt Jenny said…
by the way...that pie is gorgeous!!!!
Donetta said…
I like your thinking girl.

Popular Posts