Quiet of the day

Looking out at the sky filling with thin icy clouds so high above, I can almost fool myself into thinking it is cool outside...it looks like it should be. I want it to be. Last night, just before bedtime, I turned off the back porch light and locked the door and stood there looking out into the black of night, the big wind chimes singing, reminding me of snow and ice. I want summer to be over. By this time of the year, you look for signs that the summer heat will soon be over. You dream, you hope and you plan for the cool of autumn.
The living room is still draped in shades of gray as the sun has not found its way into the front windows. The colors are muted, old looking, colorless, silent looking, if you can imagine that. It's the quiet part of the day, before the blinds are pulled up and the sounds of inside chores begin. No music playing in the background, no cars driving by the house....just quiet. Its a prayerful, meditative time of the day. Emery is outside doing his morning chores....I see him walk past the window, his face set to the task until he sees me watching him then he smiles with all the love shining out of his being, just for me. A wave and a blown kiss. I wonder how these simple quiet moments can be captured forever, I want to remember the simple ordinary.

Time for chores, time to wander the property, soaking it all in. Maybe, some dreaming...of winter and cold.

Comments

Aunt Jenny said…
I feel the same way....ready for my favorite season..autumn!!
It is overcast and may rain a little today...if that cools things off then I am all for it!! We even had a little unexpected frost last night. I know my cucumbers took a little hit. I will have to go out and assess the damage to the garden a little later on..sigh. But it IS a little cooler and I am thankful for that. Have a nice week, Patty!
Carrie J said…
I do not miss summer in the deep south. The heat can be unbearable. I love the change of seasons we have here. We have enough hot weather in Tennessee to make me long for fall.
Are you seeing much from the hurricane yet? My daughter is waiting it out at my mom's before she gets the all clear and can go into New Orleans to start her new job.
Never Settle said…
I live in Phoenix, but I grew up in Texas and Mississippi. I do love being in/near the big city, but I am a country girl at heart. I am reminded of my childhood every time I visit my mother on their secluded 165 acres in Nowhere, Oklahoma.

I miss the quiet mornings and the amazing starry skies (that you cannot see with all the city lights). For years, I've talked to my mother about getting back to the simple life. After reading your blog, it reminds me of why.

Thank you for sharing.

Popular Posts