September has arrived













The air is heavy this morning, humidity high. I am sick of summer, anxious now for cool crisp mornings and evenings spent playing board games by the copper glow shining out of the woodstove door.
While doing Chores this morning I kept watching the sky wondering if rain is headed our way. I hope so. Leaves falling off the trees, brown and dull, not bright and vibrant. A few flowers in bloom, catching my eye. A contrast to the shades of a summer that has lasted long enough.
Morning sun in golden rays catching colors and transforming them into something brilliant.
Even the goats look as though they have been painted with the purest gold, natures highlights.
I am struck by the beauty of what surrounds me. I am thankful for this life, this simple life.
Sometimes as I lay in bed at night, in the few moments before sleep comes, I wonder what I would do if I won millions of dollars, and I think and think, trying to figure out what I would change. No, I would not move, this is home and no mansion could ever be so fine to me. I might buy a new car, a hybrid or a smart car to zip around in. I would put cedar siding on the house and build a really nice barn and workshop for Emery. But those are things we could do now if we really wanted them that bad. In these moments of dreaming, I always come to the same conclusion, I would have to just give that money away, because I really have all that I want right now. I might build on another room, but we could do that too.

When I was 16 years old and reading Mother Earth News, I dreamed of a life with a man that was gentle, had a beard, was a "PBS" sort of man. I wanted to live on a tiny farm, grow my own food, have goats to milk and cheese to make. Chickens on nests. Shelves with lots of jars of fruits and vegetables I canned myself. Children that danced through life happy and healthy. Earth Shoes on my feet and funky hand spun wool hat on my head. I wanted a wood stove and a butter churn, a feather bed and lots of quilts. I wrote about all this in the journals I kept and now, I have just about all those things. I am blessed to be living my dream.

Comments

minervabird said…
Thank you for your lovely blog and your photography. I think that you probably attracted those good things in your life you thought about at age 16, unknowingly using the principles of "The Secret."

Blessings,

Anna Marie
Dana and Daisy said…
I rejoiced today when I saw the first bunch of goldenrod blooming, which signals fall is on its way!
Susan Godfrey said…
I just ran into your blog today, very nice and enjoyable! It's always nice to run into another Texan. I live between Hillsboro and Waco. I see you're also a fan of Homestead Heritage. We were just out there today for the Sorghum festival and had a really good time. I'll be posting pictures from our trip to my blog tomorrow. Nice to meet you, I'm adding you to my blog roll so I can keep up with your posts :-)
The Stricklands said…
I, too, am so excited to see that Fall is on the way! I love the colors and smells of autumn. Your goats look so happy and healthy. Do you still have your little dog?
grbev said…
Are goat babies on the way?

Bev

Popular Posts