Questions About Freeze Dried Clothes

I had more than a few emails this morning asking about the "freeze dried clothes" mentioned in the last post. I went on a search through my blog to see if I had written about this winter event before, and I have mentioned it with a picture or two of the magic of drying clothes in the winter
in a post dated January 15, 2007 Just click the date for a link to that post.
Freeze drying clothes on the line in winter is a bit tricky, you have to guess when the clothes are dry. You can take a piece down off the line, shake off the ice, bring it in the house, see if its dry and then take everything down, or just simply guess by the length of time they have been hanging and bring them all in. I can't say its always pleasant hanging up clothes when its 10 degrees out. Fingerless gloves do help, but as my girls will attest, your hands get as red and cold as when you are having fun playing in the snow with wet gloves on, unwilling to leave the fun to change them to dry ones.
Hanging clothes in winter sure lets you know what kind of stuff you are made of. Perhaps it lets you know if you would have made it as a pioneer. On the positive side of it, there is nothing quite so nice as coming inside after the chore is done and having a hot cup of tea or cocoa as you thaw out next to the wood stove !

Comments

debi said…
I had clothes drying all over the house. Most clothes went right to a hanger. I have dryer now but use it only part time. Way too expensive to use full time. There is something I love about standing at the clothesline.
Dana and Daisy said…
ooh! do your hands ever get stuck to the wires?

Ouchie!
Renee said…
Thanks for posting more about this. I had never heard of Freeze drying. Very interesting!

Popular Posts