Soon To Arrive .....

Soon to arrive just about place where grass grows will be the humble dandelion. Many people spray for this tiny "misplaced flower", my term for just any weed, but this plant is full of goodness. The greens make good eating, provided no one applied any chemicals to the earth they grow in, or they are subjected to exhaust fumes from automobiles. The flowers make a delightful treat if breaded and fried like battered mushrooms. Also with the flowers you can make a dainty syrup that is wonderful on pancakes and French toast. My children can all remember years of me sending them out gathering big dandelion heads for making syrup with. So before you think about mowing these dainties down or spraying for them, take a second look and see them as a treat.
Here is the recipe I use for Dandelion Syrup. Oh its so good !

4 double fisted handfuls of dandelion flowers
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 quart cold water
2 lbs. sugar

Place the flowers in the water and bring to a slow boil.
Let boil about a minute then cool overnight.
The next day, strain and push out the excess water.
Discard the blooms and save the dandelion water.
Mix this water with the lemon and sugar and simmer until most of the water has evaporated.
Do not bring to a hard boil.
Let the mixture cool, then simmer again until thick like maple syrup.

Comments

fabulous! GREAT idea--thank you for sharing the recipe!
LadySnow said…
Fried Dandelions...yum! ;)
Dana and Daisy said…
I've heard of dandelion tea too, but not sure if you make it with the flowers or the leaves.

An old saying I like: One man's weed is another man's flower.
Aunt Jenny said…
I am so excited to find a use for my large crop of dandelions. They are starting to show up now..and within the next few weeks will dot my whole front and back yards...I love how they look yellow..but hate when they turn into ugly stemmy blown puffballs. So..I will gather them and make something fun with them now..thanks so much for this post!! My animals love the greens, and we always cook at least one batch up for us when they are young and tender.
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen a dandelion for years but I wish I had them in my garden - your recipe for the syrup sounds delicious and my family certainly loves pancakes and syrups :-)
Vicky said…
Miss Patty,

Have you ever tried fried squash flowers? They are wonderful too!!

Blessings
Christine said…
I forgot about dandelion syrup! Thanks for the reminder! Off to harvest some dandelions...
Patty said…
I sure have tried them Vicky and love them, but most years I am not willing to give up the big squash for the bloom : )
Beth said…
My children have always loved the dandelion above all other flowers. As a child I remember my grandmother using the greens in salad (but I never liked it!). I didn't know you could use the flowers in such a way.

My mother-in-law always called the dandelion in seed (the one we blow and drive the neighbors crazy) a "wishie" and my children have always called them the same. Even this year at ages 10 and 12 they were so excited to see the first dandelions. This is how they define spring time.

Popular Posts