Looking At Life

September 2006, I wrote on my other blog about a time of silence during a camping trip I took. I was totally alone for one entire day. Not another person to talk to, no one to distract me. No music,
(which is a big deal for me, I almost always have music playing ). Nothing but the sounds of nature and at times that was only a gentle breeze fluttering through the trees that could be barely be heard. I spent some time in silence today and it reminded me of what I wrote way back then. I need to make it a habit of putting aside some time for just silence.
Since my camping trip this past weekend I am feeling a bit philosophical and maybe just a bit reflective. Not sure they are different but sure they are not the same. There are so many folks driving fast, impatient at red lights, eating and talking on the phone while driving. Running around with 10 things on their mind, scattered feeling and a bit overwhelmed. Not sure where it all gets you in the end. Sitting in silence, like I wrote about in my last post is a profound experience. I had to adjust my mind to really being in silence. Meaning no clocks, no traffic going by, nothing stealing my attention. It was difficult at first to just sit and do nothing, simply nothing but breath and see what was around me.There were no people tugging on my coat tails. No demands from any where.You get pretty real with yourself when its like that. If you have inner issues, I suspect they would rise up like a monster in such a setting. Make you face your demons shall we say. I did that years ago, so now there was simply silence. I thought about what I believe in and what is still held in question, not fine tuned, not solid. I thought about what matters in life and what won't matter a bit when you are breathing your last breath. Actually few of the things in the fast lane, will matter in the end, only as regrets perhaps. Regret we didn't take more time to make the world around us a better place. Time to count what counts. Grudges and anger are so totally worthless. Worry and fret, totally worthless activities, unless you can change the things that are not right, why worry about them.Love, now that is worth more than anything. Relationships. Parents loving their children with that same unconditional love we hear preached about and written about in just about every religion. Loving people, knowing we all make errors in judgment and knowing that you can't ever put a wise head on a young body and expect mistakes and love them through it.Letting people make up their own minds and not pushing them to behave according to your personal standards. Love is the only thing that matters in life really. If you love correctly, then you won't harm. I just wonder, in this fast paced world if we have forgotten what matters in the big scheme of things.

Comments

Julian said…
yes, that about sums it up. When you really get down to it, nothing matters but what is real. The fast paced life is rushing to only get nowhere. Children are herded like cattle from one event to the next, people are rushing to and fro, and not really enjoying life. No more time to enjoy ones children, or family life, no deep rooted relationships, no more visiting with a friend over iced tea on the porch, no more true living. I am sad for that, and while I am only 34, I am trying to bring that back around me, in my life.

Popular Posts