I need to lecture myself...so bear with me

I am reposting this for myself...a reminder. Got off track, no, I fell off the track. Written in December and seemingly forgotten. The treadmill is covered with dust and my running shoes are sitting in a corner, neglected. My hair, a fright and my clothes, back to sloppy.


The new year is right around the corner and I have very specific goals for myself in the coming year. One is to, no excuses allowed, reach 134 lbs. In order for me to reach that goal I need to set things up for myself. Motivation needs to be nurtured, maintained, and cultivated. I know what it takes for me and I know in the past year, with all that went on with Melanie and Mei-Ling, their needs took priority as it should have, but now, I need to work on myself. In the past year I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many times I really had a good run. I went to the gym sporadically at best and the treadmill got dusty once or twice. My eating was not well planned and certainly did not receive the attention it needed. Lovely meals in settings conducive to pleasurable eating were just not the norm.
The holidays are over and I feel like my body is made of sweets. Its not a feeling I like any more. I find myself anxious for my hot water and lemon in the morning, and a nice fresh salad as if these things will chase away the over indulgence of the holidays and believe me, we did not even have the amount usually made for Christmas time. But still, it seemed we over indulged.
Today, the first steps of inspiration were taken. A new hair style. Feels good. Tomorrow I will try to have someone take a picture for you all to see. I started wearing my jeans that are just a tad tight in the waist. Not painfully so, or requiring me to lay on the bed to zip them, but just tight enough that eating more than I should results in less comfort than I am willing to put up with. So I don't overeat when I am wearing them. Next, my wonderful amazing husband handed me the checkbook to buy new clothes to make me feel good about myself. Being the bargain hunter that I am, my dear gentle man could relax knowing I would not clean out the checkbook. I headed to Goodwill and as if providence was smiling down on me, there was a new rack waiting to be put out that had all my size clothes, good names, Lauren, Liz, Lands End and more. All things that I liked, it was as if they were meant for me. I came home with two huge shopping bags filled with clothes for under $60. Complete with a new suit for a new years party ! All the clothes were so gently used, I wondered if they were ever worn at all.
So now, the sloppy tee shirts and elastic waist pants/skirts that crept back into my closet will be passed on.
I took out my "French Women Don't Get Fat" books and have been pouring over the pages. I want to be inspired to get out of the dumpy slump that sneaked in while I wasn't watching.
The stereo is playing wonderful Turkish music, transporting me back to my days of youth where I frequented a Turkish Coffee House in Harvard Square, solving world problems over tiny cups filled with thick black coffee. The music makes me feel more alive, a touch of youth from decades ago stirring my blood with idealism and no thought of things being beyond my reach.
This weekend I will dress up, put on a touch of make-up, and go on a date to a tiny cafe with the love of my life. We will whisper to one another while sipping frothy cappuccino, unaware that any one else exists. Inspiration.... all inspirations to fulfil my aspirations for the new year. We all need a nudge once in a while to motivate us. For me, its stepping into that place where the quote I love so well, becomes my reality.
""You have to live Spherically, in many directions and never loose your childish enthusiasm and then things will come your way"
Staying true to living simply, but always peppered with a bit of fun !
a good goal setting page
Personal Goal Setting

Comments

nancyr said…
I think we all need a reminder, about this time of year! I have let a few pounds come back, and am having a hard time getting enough exercise, as I fractured my kneecap three weeks ago.
Good luck and thanks for the reminder that falling away from our goals is just too easy.
Mimi said…
OK, you hit me where it hurts... I have gained back all the weight that I had lost at one point...and I have to start all over again...Boo Hoo Hoo
I will try to glean some inspiration from your post...and get with the program again...
thanks for the kick in the pants...
Mimi
mikesgirl said…
Don't be too hard on yourself - you've had a lot going on in your life since the first of the year.
The Stricklands said…
I just returned from a trip where we ate and ate all weekend. I needed a little boost to start this week off right. Thanks for reminding me that taking care of myself is important. I think I'll dust off my treadmill in the morning!
2 LMZ FARMS said…
As I read your post tonight, I went back and read what I had said I was going to do for the new year. Yup, mine flew out with windows too. Ok, you have gotten my attention so tomorrow, i will start trying to do what I had put on my agenda to do. Starting with walking every morning on the treadmill. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura

Popular Posts