A Shared Day

From the time my girls were little, I would take a morning or an afternoon and spend it with just one of the girls. We called it "mom and daughter day". Nothing fancy, and it was not scheduled, but each girl had equal time with mom. We might buy fabric together or get feed from the farm store. Melanie and I still have "mom and daughter day" and how much I wish Melissa was still here so we could have a shared day together too. Today, Melanie and I went shopping, Mei-Ling too of course. Just running errands, chatting in the car as we drove from one place to another. Sometimes we grab a coffee or lunch. It's fun. We talk about all sorts of things, the future or memories or what have plans to make for supper. I like my children and they seem to like me just as well. I suspect I would choose them for friends if they were not related in any way. They are just nice to be around and so interesting. Emery would spend time with the boys in much the same way, but it always included a character building story from them to learn from. Emery grew up without electricity or running water for most of his childhood on a farm, so he has a wealth of stories to share regarding the value of hard work and he knows more facts than anyone I know.
When I got home from our afternoon together, it was time to do my chores....maybe it was the sweet calling of a cardinal or the ever changing song of the mocking bird, maybe both, but stepping out the back door into this sun and shadow late afternoon, felt a bit like paradise. After last nights rain, the grass seemed greener and the trees more full of spring leaves.

The afternoon sun kissing my new bridge in welcome, and the cat leisurely checking it out, sitting midway to scratch a bothersome itch. Lurch and Larry marched right up to the bridge, looked it over and turned the other way. I crossed the bridge and gave that sort of contented sigh, the kind you feel when something seems just right. I love the way it feels to cross this little bridge, and slide my hand over the railing. The goats were watching me, eager to be fed, when the shadows dance with the sun, its feeding time. The chickens come running when they hear me lift the lid of the feed barrel. I sprinkle some sweet feed out for them one day and they have expected this little treat every day since. The goats clamour at the gate, eager for their grain. I squeeze through the barely opened gate. Its as though they have never eaten in their lives. Soon they are content at the feed dish, fishing out their favorite grain first.

I head to the hen house to gather eggs, a surprise today, a tiny egg, a young hens first. It looks like a doll egg compared to the others in the nest.

The walk back to the house is slow and easy, a silent conversation with beauty. A whispered prayer of gratitude. My apron pulled up around the warm eggs as if it were a pouch, easier to carry them then in an egg basket.

It's been a wonderful day...and soon the love of my life will pull into the driveway, walk up to the screen door and ask with a small man laugh the same thing he has for 30 years, " is anyone home ?" "Where is my girl ?" His 53 year old "girl" will answer him with a kiss !

Life is good : )


Comments

Diannia said…
How wonderful your day sounds. You have such a beautiful way with words! I have always told my 2 sons that I not only loved them but that I LIKED them too and that if they weren't my sons then I would have chosen them for my friends. My oldest son calls me almost every day...even though he only lives about 1 mile from us. After our chat I just thanked God for the blessing of this son...then I called him back and shared what a blessing he is to me with him too! I called him a little later and invited him to share my lunch w/me at work...which he did. You and I are so blessed!
Dana and Daisy said…
that is so sweet. You are blessed!
AK Angel said…
Praise God for your most delightful day ~ your bridge is so beautiful and your cat is taking full advantage of it ~ what a gift to cherish but more than that is having been blest with such a wonderful husband... thank you for sharing 'your bridge' ~ sending angel hugs, Joellyn
Margo in Maine said…
How refreshing your pictures and comments....His blessings
Mimi said…
I love your pictures of your world...what a wonderful peaceful life so close to nature...
It's so great that you have a nice relationship with your adult children...
I still have Casi's job situation on my prayer journal...and of course little Mei-Ling...
blessings,
Mimi
Patty said…
thanks Mimi for the continued prayers.
MrsRitchey said…
My mom and I used to do that. I was an only child, but it was still special. We continued after I started having children, but haven't gone in quite a while, as I have 4 children now, and she tends to just take the older children to have granny time, and let me have some quiet time at home alone.

Blessings
Monique
2 LMZ FARMS said…
I too have a wonderful relationship with all my kids. Not only are they kids but they are my closest friends. Everything we do we do as a family. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. So glad to hear and see Mei-Ling is doing better. She is soo precious. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura
What precious, wonderful scenes you paint with your words and your pictures.
Diana said…
Are you ever able to include Priscilla in your "girl days"?
Diana
Patty said…
I haven't spent a day with Priscilla alone in that way.
She is very close with her mother and sisters, so she spends her free days with them.
Matron said…
I would just love to keep chickens on my vegetable patch. Those fresh eggs look so wonderful. Fantastic flower pictures, I loved it.

Popular Posts