Evening Rest

Part of the joy of working hard, is when its over and you get to rest and relax. When Emery came home from work, he found me in the garden fighting what seems to be a loosing battle with the weeds. I was using the high wheel cultivator and felt a bit like that scene from Little House on The Prairie when Ma was out with the oxen plowing the field, only I was the beast of burden.
It was humid out so there was sweat on my brow. Emery came through the gate and took over the job and I sat under the cotton wood tree which is leaved out. A mocking bird sang over head and there was a constant soft clucking from the chickens as they hunted for bugs outside the garden fence.
It felt a bit like heaven to light the lamps and sit down with a nice cold glass of water, work boots kicked off and my bare toes glad to be free. The house is clean, the chores all done, the front lawn seeded and now I can sit for the evening. There is a special peace that has come with sundown. A silence and a softness that can't easily be described.

Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
Your living room looks beautiful, Your floors are sparkling! It looks like you are ready for your company!
grbev said…
Wow, I'll bet you sleep good tonight! Home looks very inviting.

I have made 12 baby nightgowns and 14 pair of fleece booties for charity today because it is too cold to work out in the yard. Maybe the weekend will bring some 50 degree weather.

Bev
Julian said…
im new to your blog, and I really enjoy the simplicity you have to share. WE have 6 children, and I am truly trying to work on simplicity.
i enjoy your pictures, and encouragement. Thanks,
Christina
ps. I live in Texas city
Patty said…
Bev, you were busy....14 pair of booties and 12 baby nightgowns ! Hope you have some warm weather soon.
Patty said…
Christina,
Welcome to my blog and hope you come back often.
Oh you are near the ocean, how nice. Being near the ocean is something I miss.
Patty said…
Thanks Dana, those simple plywood floors look pretty good all clean and waxed !
nancyr said…
What kind of wax do you use on your wood floors? They look great.
Patty said…
Hi Nancy,
Just that mop and glo stuff. But the floors have a good thick coat of polyurathane on them which helps keep the shine up. Since they are just plywood stained, they need the poly so I can wash them easily.
JacquiG said…
It's amazing how you got simple plywood floors to look like that!! Your living room looks so cozy and inviting and wonderful.

Bet you slept well after all that work yesterday!
TJ said…
Ahh evenings and sleep are so much better when all the work is done and the house is clean! Glad you enjoyed the evening.
Sarah B. B. said…
There is some amazing truth to this post - thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Popular Posts