Saturday Surprise





After going to the feed store to pick up some additional day old chicks, I came home to hear a funny sound in the living room. I was busy getting things set up for the chicks, so decided that later when I was not so busy I would look for the source of the tapping sound.
But it wasn't long until something caught my attention IN the wood stove. A tiny house wren had found its way down the chimney and into the stove. It was pecking at the glass and hopping all around trying to find a way to get out.
With the chicks all safely settled, I began to think of a way to safely get this little bird out. House Wrens are one of my favorite birds, which made the success of the rescue even more important to me. I remember at one time we had a fishing net around the place, but thought back and realized that was years ago now. There was the netting for the babies pram, but I really didn't want to use that. Ahhhh, the fabric stash had a really nice piece of lace fabric....perfect. I closed all the doors to the other rooms of the house, just in case the plan didn't work just right and suddenly there was a bird loose in the house. I opened the front door too. Then I set to work draping the lace carefully around the wood stove door, making sure there was plenty of loose material for the little frightened bird to fly into. I placed the fabric carefully checking for any spots where the bird could fly out of and decided it was bird tight ! Then I slowly opened the door and stood away from the door a bit so he/she couldn't see me. In a matter of just a minute or so the little bird was in the lovely lace. I gathered up the edges and carried the little bird to the door, snapped a couple pictures and then let it go. It flew off fast and far. Free at last.

Comments

sulli said…
Nice job! Very smart and quick thinking.
R. Aastrup said…
Whew! What a surprise! But good job planning the rescue!
Marci said…
We usually get several birds in our woodstove in the spring. We have a fish net that is just the perfect size for the hole on top of the stove.
Aunt Jenny said…
awesome rescue. We haven't had any birds in our woodstove. Now I know what to do if we ever do. Good thing you had that lace. I think I have a lace curtain panel in my stash that would work like that too. Farmgirl creativity at it's best!!
We, too, had a Carolina Wren get into our house (but we don't have a woodstove)... I opened the back door after dark one evening before we got a screen door put up, and the little bird (we call them L.B.'s because there are so many down here outside Conroe) flew into the house and narrowly escaped the ceiling fan. Wish I'd thought to use a piece of lace to "net" him!
Mimi said…
quick thinking, using the lace to net him and deliver him to safety once again...
Unknown said…
How cute is that! I love it.
Anabella
Unknown said…
LOL! Just the other day Marci got a grackle in her stove. She mentioned that someone had used lace, but she didn't have any that she wanted to use... Now, I know who she was talking about. I have gotten grackles in my stove, too. And I have used a towel to cover the stove window, then put gloves on, and reach in and blindly grab the bird. After grabbing the bird, I run outside with it and release it. It is rather nifty to hold it for a minute and look into it's eyes. LOL! Adventures, adventures... ;-)

Popular Posts