Are you Ready for A Deep Recession or a near Second Depression ?



Filled up my car with gasoline yesterday, $45. The news is full of stories regarding entire new neighborhoods in foreclosure. Every time I go to the market for food, people in line complain about the prices. Everything is going up, except wages.
You would had have to stranded on a deserted island not to see this coming. In the U.S. people kept buying bigger vehicles, bigger houses, using more resources. Oil companies get greedier. After all they too want bigger mansions, more cars etc. Farmers find it more lucrative to grow corn for alternative fuel than to grow wheat and corn for people to eat, after all the farmers around here all drive gas guzzling trucks and big SUV's and they want bigger homes too.
It hurts to fill up the car, but we don't drive a whole lot and that is about to be much less since we made that personal commitment to do so. Emery fills up his 1991 Tempo about once a month. We fill up the family car once a week.
Credit card debt non repayment is at an all time record, house foreclosures the same. People want and can't be bothered to read the fine print. Adjustable rate mortgages are good for the lenders, but not good for the buyer. The buyers eyes are bigger than their purse, so often times you just borrow with lousy terms just so you can have what you want. Same as shopping with a credit card when you really don't have the money. We want, and we want....it puts you in grave danger when things like deep recessions and depressions come into play and all the while we are consuming more than the earth can give without drawing blood somewhere.
Young married couples seem to be hit hard right now, in the place where they are just trying to get going and the world keeps telling them, go ahead, make a bad choice, we will profit from it.
Many years ago, Emery and I decided to just get off the hamster wheel, just live with less and in actuality have more. We opted for a old house, needing work, nothing fancy, certainly not the kind of house we had lived in in California, but that house was not a home to us, just an albatross around the neck for so many reasons. Our house is paid for, has been for years. We paid $17,000 for it 16 years ago. Was it our dream home, NO ! Is it our dream home now ? Yeah, I can actually say yes to that, its cozy, and its home. A place of family and it has NO mortgage.
We have even been able to purchase a couple homes for investment through time. It meant we didn't go out to eat, we didn't shop foolishly, the children did not have their own computer or TV. We did not do the extra curricular activities, except Irish Step dance. We did not buy new furniture. We did not have elegant china. We did not go on vacations. We ate healthy but simple foods, we did not shop with "wants" in mind and we worked very hard at keeping an eye on the prize, the prize being, NO DEBT. We grew a garden, we milked goats, raised chickens, all within the city limits and on less than one acre of land. All the time arming ourselves financially against the worry of a deep recession or a depression. We figure with milk and eggs you have a lot of meals right there and with vegetables growing much of the year, you seem pretty well set. Texas allows you to garden almost the entire year. I have cabbage and collards through the winter most years. Texas is great, but I would much rather live in York, Maine and be by the ocean all year long ! But no gardening in winter there.
Emery could walk to work or at least ride a bike there so even the gas prices will not cripple us.
Food is more expensive but I realized that I spend more on hobbies than I need to, or should.
Think about the way you are living, maybe you need to shed the McMansion and think smaller more affordable to maintain, less utilities to run and less of a mortgage payment. Maybe the bloated SUV is not what you need, but just what you want, maybe you could trade it in for something more affordable to run, something that won't guzzle up the earths innards so fast.
You could be killing two birds with one stone, helping yourself endure higher prices and at the same time, being more gentle on the earth.
Just about any home with a yard the size of a sofa can have a garden. Maybe your soil is bad, have some brought in ! Compost ! Dirt is still cheap. I am sure you could give up something in order to have some dirt brought in. Seed is cheap still too. Gardening is the poor mans fitness center. Its the best diet program too. Hard work, good food. Great for the children to see about where food comes from and understanding that how well we work equates with how well you eat is a lesson of profound value. Working a garden is therapy, its strengthening, its certainly the best cure for insomnia.
In all this, you might even find you have some money to save for that rainy day.

A recession or even another depression can be softened by a simple lifestyle.



Comments

nancyr said…
I just emailed a friend, about how the recession is not going to defeat me!
I have been living frugally for years, and have no debt. We have a garden, but have a short growing season. We have fruit trees, but more often than not, the blossoms freeze, and we do not get a crop. However, when we do, we can the fruit, fill the freezer, and are able to cut down of food expenses.
I purchase loss-leaders as often as I can, and make nutritious meals without a lot of expense.
As for people who have to have the nicest, cars, the best homes, and the latest electronics, they are likely to get a difficult lesson in personal responsibility.
Patty said…
I couldn't agree with you more Nancy about some folks having to learn a hard lesson
Niki said…
We are fortunate to be able to garden, raise sheep, pigs chickens for laying and meat. So, this will help if hard times are ahead.

I also made your oven fried chicken and loved it (and mentioned it on my blog) Thanks for the delicious recipe,
blessings,
Niki
Vicki R. said…
I couldn't agree with you more, but oh how difficult to continue to shed the "must haves" from the mind! I've committed to only one shopping "stock up" time a month at the local Target for the basic necessities & I'm still sticker-shocked at how crazy the bill can get! And that's with sticking to everything on my list, no extras! We OWN both of our cars & both get filled up once a month, unless we go to visit family. Thankfully hubbs has a commute of 10 minutes at 35 mph - such a nice change!!

We have a house with a wonderful opportunity for a garden, but I am extremely limited with my time with a very active toddler on my hands. It's difficult just to keep up with the basic housekeeping, let alone having enough time to start a garden - something I've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet.

Do you have any suggestions on how to start small for now, for a newbie? We don't own a rototiller yet - I'm hoping they'll go on clearance at the end of the season. Other than that I think I have the necessary tools, I just need more time & energy :)
TJ said…
We unfortunately do have some debt, but we are still planning ahead. Medical bills and illness are the biggest problems for us right now.

I have slowly changed my husband from "got to have it new and now" to "how can I make this last longer and do it as cheaply as possible." He's not fully reformed, but he is doing better and amped up about garden plans for this year.
Very great post! I would love to have a garden in my small back yard but I have a problem with wasps and the yard being so small the wasps are right on top of you.

I have gotten stung by a wasp by just entering my backyard! Do you know of any natural way to rid the yard from the wasps? We removed their nest a few years ago but they keep coming back year after year!

Thanks Patty & God Bless
Saska said…
I have to agree with everything you say except....about the part of gas-guzzling vehicles on the farm. We farm (about 1500 acres)and if you can find me a pickup-truck that gets good gas mileage and will haul big hay bales, a fuel tank, or a ton of feed will you let me know? We own three of them and it hurts to fill them up too but they're a necessity.

We produce what the market allows. Who our buyers opt to sell to is out of our hands. We are only producers--there are no choices who we can sell our grains to.

We do have a new (simple) home (out of necessity) but we do live very frugle--drive older cars (and tractors) and try to get by with less. Your family eats out more than ours!

I don't know what the answers are. We're trying to be as "green", frugle and conscious as we can. If more cared, the world might change.
Patty said…
Mama Koch, I have no problems with farm trucks, just with people driving farm trucks for every single trip to town and not every farmer needs a two ton truck, but thats what most folks, farmers or not drive around here.
Patty said…
Hi Vicki,
This is the first year we have had a tiller. Emery has turned the soil by shovel each and every year. Good exercise and it is very effective.
Our garden has never been small either, except when we lived in a town house in California.
When my girls were little, toddler age, we put them in a play pen with a mosquito net over it, and they would play or nap while I worked in the garden.
Dana and Daisy said…
I think the younger generation is especially going to take a hard-nose lesson if things continue to worsen. I see a lot of young people who think the world owes them everything on a silver platter. A false sense of entitlement is what has led our culture to this point. IMO.
JenJen said…
Another great post, Patty! My only debt right now is my 2 mortgages. (The 2nd one is negligible, and I will probably pay it off fairly quickly.)

As you know, we are subject to an HOA and its ridiculous rules, but we still do all we can. No livestock--that's not allowed--but if we get some land with no HOA one day, I intend to have chickens for eggs. (We are vegetarian.) We have started to grow a few veggies. It will be a while before we start to see the financial results of our new practices, but learning all of these things is preparing us for whatever might happen.

We're suburbanites, but I feel fairly confident we'd survive if Something Big and Terrible happened.

It's the Average Folks I'm worried about.

~JM
JenJen said…
Dana Jones, I could not agree with you more. Yes, I AM a Gen-Xer, but I was raised with "old-fashioned" standards and with a strong emphasis on self-sufficiency. I feel fortunate.

There will be a lot of people hurting.

~JM
ellemenope said…
I remember going through the Y2K scare, I was certain we were all going to take it in the shorts. I had a HUGE garden that year, a dairy goat, a cow, chickens, turkeys, & our horses. That year I decided we needed to do something huge and we built our own log home from scratch (like --cut down the trees ourselves scratch) to reduce our bills. While we aren't mortgage-free, we are comfortable with the payments and have enough saved that we could pay it off if we need to. Instead, I take the tax benefit of a relatively small mortgage since I am self-employed. And we have the satisfaction of living in a true handcrafted home that we built ourselves, and if it came down to it, we could buidl another one because we learned HOW to do it when building this one. Knowledge is power!

I drive a VW TDI on biodiesel and use biodiesel in our truck when we do use it -- and we only use it for hauling the horses or when we need to haul something in the back. (just this weekend I used it to pick up a bunch of rotten straw for mulch for my garden)

The absolute best thing I own is my bicycle. I love my bike. I would ride it everywhere if I could. I live 25 miles from "town" and ride it in as often as I can. I even rode it to town in February on a miserable day, and while I was doing it, it was hard, but afterwards I had a huge rush of euphoria -- it was better than anything. I have lost 80 lbs. by riding my bikes as much as I can and have invested in tandems and a triplet to ride with my kids.

I keep the horses around just because, really. I guess if it came down to it we could use them for ploughing so they earn their keep. I am planning on another huge garden this year, now that my kids are old enough to help out, and we did invest in three hens which keep us in eggs and entertained. I am not ready to commit to another dairy animal, they take daily care and make leaving home impossible. But I take comfort knowing that I know how to take care of one if I needed to. I honestly think that goats are all one really needs to survive, portable milk, meat and entertainment all in one!

To the poster that doesn't own a tiller, try lasagne gardening. You don't need a tiller for that, and really it's the best way to garden.

Okay, sorry for the novel in your comments. This post really hit home for me.
Arden said…
I think I understand your heart Patty but what you wrote comes a little close to the prosperity gospel that is popular in my area.

There is great reward in doing the right thing but the reward isn't always mineral rights and investment property.
Saska said…
Speakin' of trucks....they may be like my DH and that's the only vehicle he drives. It's too expensive to have two tooled up to work besides the tags and insurance. We farm over a 40 mile spread and sometimes it takes several trips to town to get it all done.
Your area farmers may be using the 2-ton vehicle as a tax break too. It's cheaper for them to buy the bigger vehicle, pay little for tags and then get the tax deduction. It's cheaper for them to use the big truck than it is for you to maintain your older vehicle.
I always say if the vehicle is "too clean" for farm-use then they bought it for other reasons.
Patty said…
Hi Arden,
Guess you haven't been reading my blog long enough to know that I am not into any sort of prosperity junk, just simply we have benefited from careful management of our money and certainly by our ages, you should have something put aside for retirement, that is plain old good planning. Mineral rights, well they were simply a blessing, nothing planned there.
I have no intentions of having to eat dog food when I retire because social security isn't much and may not be around in another 10 years.
Saving and planning is not prosperity gospel or whatever it is that you called it.
Patty said…
In the north texas area, there are more pick ups than cars and not that many ranchers. Its not the real farmer I worry about, its the hobby farmer that isn't living off his farm, but has a job in town that he drives 40 miles to, in his two ton gas guzzler. My husband grew up on a full time farm, and they were poor as church mice, but still had a car for shopping and non farm trips to town. I still think that some ranchers in our area can rethink some of their choices on when to drive what.
JenJen said…
Wow, Arden. It seems like you really must not know Patty that well, if that is what you think.

I have not known her long, granted, but just from reading her blog, I can see that you are gravely mistaken.

Sometimes, people are lucky. Patty and her family are making the most of that with which they have been blessed.

~JM
Arden said…
Patty,

The prosperity gospel is very simple. Live right and good things will happen. If bad things happen it is because of unresolved sin in your life. Many large chuches embrace this false theology.

I've been a fan of your blog for ages that is why your post surprised me. It seemed out of character.

I do apologize if I misread it and I won't comment further. It is not my intention to get into your space and upset you.
Patty said…
Hi Arden,
You didn't upset me, far from it, more like surprise me as I am so far from that sort of thinking.
I just think its smart to plan for your future and to live debt free. It was nothing but hard work to get where we are in life.
Thought provoking post, Patti. Our family has been striving for a simpler lifestyle for the past several years and that mindset is certainly helping us to deal with the changes that our economy is now facing.

Just this morning we made it a family project to see who could come up with yet another frugal idea to help us cope with rising fuel prices. It has become a lifestyle and not in the least unpleasant.

Love your reflections.

Blessings,
Lea

Popular Posts