Amish Style Oven Fried Chicken


this is from the cookbook "Cooking from quilt Country" by Marcia Adams and is a family favorite. We might be mostly vegetarian, but when it comes to this recipe, we kinda toss all that aside.

OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
serves 4-5

This is the best fried chicken recipe I've tried, bar none. Its is quick to prepare and doesn't require watching. The outside is crusty, and the inside is moist. The flour mixture can be made up in large amounts and stored to use as needed.

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
8-9 chicken pieces - legs, thighs, breasts

Place the oil and butter in a shallow cooking pan ( a jelly roll pan is perfect) and put in a preheated 375 oven to melt.
Set aside.
In a large paper sack, combine the flour and seasonings. Roll the chicken pieces, 3 at a time, in the melted oil-butter mixture, then drop them in the sack and shake to cover.
Place on a dish or wax paper until you have them all done.
Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down.
Bake for 45 minutes.
With a spatula, turn over and bake 5-10 minutes longer, or until the top crust begins to bubble. Serve hot or cold, but the crust texture is better if the chicken is not refrigerated before eating. If you can afford the calories, the pan drippings make an absolutely divine gravy for either mashed potatoes or Baking Powder Biscuits.

Comments

Unknown said…
I have made your recipe several times for family and it is always a hit. Reminds us of the time we visited in the Amish country of Ohio and their wonderful tender baked "fried" chicken, so tender it melts in your mouth. I will recommend this highly to anyone who has not tried it. It is a family favorite. I'm still planning on trying the pumpkin sweet rolls sometime. Sound delicious and the pictures almost have me smelling them!
Aunt Jenny said…
Oh my..that looks wonderful! I love that cookbook..one of my favorites for sure..and will have to try that chicken!
I usually always love the recipes you post...I am sure this will be a hit too.
I have just love reading all your thought provoking posts this past few days...alot to think about. You sure have a great way with words...something I don't have.
Have a great week!!! I hope you feel better by now!
Kimmie said…
thanks...this looks great, I am sure my husband would love this.

hugs;
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
Cathy said…
Mmmm...we all love fried chicken here. This recipe sounds great!
Mmmmm ~ that sure sounds good. I have NEVER made fried chicken so I think I'll give this a try. Thanks so much.

Blessings,
Lea
ann said…
I've been making this chicken for many years. It's always a favorite!!
Well this recipe sure was a hit with my family! My son asked if we could make it once a week from now on! Thanks Patty.

I have posted this as my recipe of the week and have linked back to your blog.

Blessings,
Lea
MiSScNeLLY said…
I have linked to this recipe on my new blog as one that I will be trying soon. Thanks for sharing!
that sounds so good, I popped on by from Niki's. You have a lovely blog,

Gill from Canada
Do you put in the marjoram? I don't think I've ever used it before.

~Susan
Patty said…
Dear A Happy Heart At Home,
I do put the marjoram in the recipe, I think it adds just the right flavor to it

Popular Posts