Earth Day 2008




As a family we have celebrated Earth Day for many many years. The girls both remember one Earth Day in particular when they were small, a tiny foal was born to people we knew and named Rainbow. The girls got to see the foal when it was just a few hours old and they were so excited.
I realized today, that pony would be 22 years old today.
Today, we all got together at Spiral Diner (Our favorite Vegan Restaurant) for a healthy lunch. Emery was not with us since he couldn't get away from work.
We chose to celebrate this day, re-affirm our goals to live "greener" and commit to making changes in both small and big things.
My personal green goal this year, to make only one trip to town a week. I understand some weeks I won't be able to keep to this as life does happen, but to commit to only ONE shopping trip a week.
Faithfully use my cloth shopping bags, keeping them in the car at all times, and to wait until an absolute must, to use the air conditioners.

How was your Earth Day ?

natural dark chocolate earth balls, to help us celebrate
Priscilla & Elizabeth, Auntie Debbie & Mei-Ling
Casimir & Melanie
Steven & Elizabeth
One tired Mei-Ling !

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
I had that same thought about the air conditioner today. Of course it's easy enough for me to think this way in 60-70 degree weather, but it's hard to ignore the truth that we are destroying the earth, one day at a time. Anything we can do by ourselves is not enough, but at least we are doing our part. And if we all did that...the world would be cleaner and healthier... Good for you, good for the earth, with all that you do...
nancyr said…
Elizabeth sure looks like her daddy!
How nice that you could celebrate together.
JenJen said…
My Earth Day was good. It usually is--it's a very special day to me. ;)

I made a guest post on a blog for one of the organizations I support. I also posted to one of my blogs a long listing of all of the things that my BF and I are doing to live greener. We have a ways to go, but every little inroads is a victory.

Blessings.
~JM
Lisa said…
While I was in Wal-Mart picking up some strawberries (on sale $1 a pound), the checker gave me reuseable shopping bag in celebration of Earth Day. She told me that she thinks Wal-Mart will be getting away from the plastic shopping bags, that people will have to bring their own and if they don't, they will probably have to pay for their shopping bags. Just think of what could have been avoided if they had never switched to the plastic bags!
kaivegan said…
We didn't do anything special, but as my 11-year said, "Everyday is Earth Day here anyway."

Popular Posts