Pointing Fingers

I just read this on line and boy its good. "The tendency of sinful man has always been to shift attention from himself by pointing the finger at others." (Mart De Haan) that is a powerful sentence. Something to think about, something for a moment of self realization.
When we protest too much about the deeds of another, its a pretty good bet that we are really trying to hide from our own struggle with the same issue.
I remember when I charged too much on our credit cards in the 1980's, I was so quick to be defensive about my spending habits and very quick to talk about people that spent too much.
A true sign that I had problems myself. My own finger pointing had those three fingers pointing back at myself, with only one pointing at someone else. So, listen carefully to yourself, if you are finger pointing, judging others. And listen too, to the ones around you that are finger pointing, just what is really being said ? It sorta changes up a bit how we feel towards the person pointing a finger. Makes you want to be compassionate to them, feel sorry for them, and it should also make us very mindful of what we might be saying about our own struggles when we point our own fingers.
"Do unto others" might just be talking about finger pointing too.
Melanie, who is not a finger pointer, thankfully

Comments

Kelley said…
Hi Patty!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Weren't you in or still in the group Homestead Heaven with Marci?
I remember your wonderful posts and I remember urging you to write a book because they were so good!

Your post about pointing fingers is so good and I was always told to remember that I when I pointed a finger at someone that there were 4 other fingers pointing back at me!
Ouch!
It's something that I always try to remember!

Have a blessed day!
pomo housewife said…
ouch. Yes, I know I've been having a bit of an attack of self-righeousness of late.

The truth can really make you wince, can't it!

Helen
Tracy said…
I loved this post! And a beauty in the photo!

Popular Posts