Saturday Ramble

Cloudy skies and a mighty wind, it looks so cold outside, but its not. Emery is off to work, selling those beautiful barns and cabins. I have lots of plans for the day. Touch up painting in the dinning room in preparation for our Christmas party next week. Finish the decorating, make some candles for my little shop and do a bit of sewing.
Saturday mornings I like to have some coffee, a bit of breakfast and watch Little House on the Prairie. Emery purchased the first season on DVD for me a while back and I do enjoy them.

When we lived in California, we were only a few miles from the set of Little House and once a year they would open the set up for visitors. What fun it was to walk that very same land of the series.
This mornings breakfast was a piece of warm cornbread My Favorite Sweet Cornbread Recipe
with a bit of butter that melted its way all the way through, and a cup of coffee. I sat on the sofa, breakfast in hand, shawl wrapped around my shoulders, eating and watching Little House.
The fire in the wood stove chasing away the chill left over from the cool night. Soon a pot of stew like the one in the picture will be simmering on the wood stove for tonight's meal.
No recipe, just a bit of this and a bit of that. Biscuit dough will be patted out to the right thickness, cut into rounds, careful not to twist the cutter one tiny bit, ensuring fluffy high biscuits. Lamp light will glow on the table, a pie for dessert. Fresh milk served up in blue speckled mugs. We will pray, we will talk, we will laugh and after the meal has been cleared from the table, perhaps time for a game of domino's, double twelves...keeps us on our toes with math skills. The wind can blow and rain can fall, we won't mind a bit.
Thank God For Home
`Grace Noll Crowell`
I cannot thank Thee, God, enough
For this small plot of ground, this roof,
These lifted walls that close me in
And hold me tenderly; this proof
Of Thy kind care for my great need
Of shelter and of daily bread;
But oh, there are no written words -
There are no words that have been said
That could express my gratitude
For the companionship of Love
That shares my simple fare - dear God,
A gift I would be worthy of !

And I would thank Thee for the tasks;
A fire to tend, a loaf to bake,
A floor to sweep, a seam to sew,
A clean, white sheeted bed to make,
A lamp to light at evening time -
I thank Thee, God, for all of these:
For home, my home - for every home -
I thank Thee, God, upon my knees.



Comments

Lib said…
Sounds like you had afun morning.
Your menu sounds yummy. I'm more veggie &fruit than meat ,and I love cornbread.
Hope you have a Great day!
Blessins', Lib
Lib said…
Sounds like you had afun morning.
Your menu sounds yummy. I'm more veggie &fruit than meat ,and I love cornbread.
Hope you have a Great day!
Blessins', Lib
Oh Patty that sounds like such a wonderful day planned! It is terribly windy here in Missouri and cloudy with the threat of rain. lovely day for our towns Christmas parade! LOL! Bless you and enjoy the rest of your day.
FLmom7 said…
Hi Patty, I just want to tell you absolutely love your blog and your writing style! Beautiful pictures too;-)
Niki said…
I didn't know that about biscuit cutters, but will remember it next time I make them! I love the poem, so true to how I feel.
blessings,
sisterinchrist said…
Thank you for this and all of your posts. You are such a blessing. ;o)
Cathy said…
What a delightful morning you've had! I love Little House too. I'm currently re-reading the book series for the umpteenth time. : )
Lovely photo; lovely table. Everything looks so yummy! Sounds like you had a delightful morning.
Shellie said…
We love watching Little House on the Prairie too. We've rented most of the series through Netflix. Sometimes we do a little indoor picnic lunch while watching. Although, I have had to screen some of the later seasons for content that was inapproriate for the kids. I was surprised when I sat down with the kids to watch an episode that turned out to be about a child rapist. Fortunately, I caught on where the show was going before they got too far into it so the kids didn't get to finish that particular one. But for the most part, it's a wonderful show that we can enjoy together.

Thanks for the tip about getting fluffy biscuits.
Mimi said…
I love little house movies... and I never realized that you were not supposed to twist the cutter in order to make fluffy biscuits..
I loved the poem...
Sheri said…
Hi Patty,
I love your blog. It has such a warm homey feeling.
Sheri
Patty said…
I am with you Shellie on the later seasons of Little House, they are too concerned with "social issues" and end up with topics not appropriate for children. I don't like them anyway, so far from the books !
mikesgirl said…
Hi Patty - Just curious - where did they film LHOP? thanks!
Patty said…
Little house was filled at Big Sky Movie Ranch in Simi Valley off of Tapo Canyon, on the north end of Simi

Popular Posts