Time to Listen





Nothing in life is stagnant. . . wind, breath, waves and even the earths rotations ensure there is movement somewhere.   When I awoke this morning, the air was heavy, oppressive with humidity and heat.   The radar showed changes were on the way.  Rain and with it cooler temperatures, and, although the air was already dense with moisture, I was looking forward to the arrival of the wind cloud and the rain that would follow.  Rain, feels good, better than just humidity withouth any rain.   In the quiet of the morning I made breakfast, sat on the porch, watched the crows at their feeder.  7 at one time.  The approach of Autumn brings more of them.  Edgar, Allen and Poe, have no longer kept their feeding station a secret.    I left all the techno gadgets in the house and just sat with my coffee and Finnish pancake, listening to the chatter of the crows, the hammering of the woodpeckers and the sound of the wind as it bent branches ever so gently at first, high up in the tree, until the sky grew darker and darker and the winds blew stronger each time it arrived, first arriving at the front of the house and moving quickly through the Red Oaks, the Cottonwood tree next and then onto the Ash and Burr Oaks.  At the front of the house the young pine trees were bending and spilling their cones to the earth.  Seeds in armor, ready to sprout only when the time is right.  The marvels of nature never cease to amaze me.  The rain began to fall, lightly at first as if to get me used to the idea that water can and will fall from the heavens in due time, and then it fell in torrents, with wind that bent the large trees as if they were tiny willow branches.   I contemplated for a brief moment, dancing in the rain, with the uninhibited joy of a small child, then reason filled my brain and I wondered if there was lightening around.  Now, sitting in the house, never once hearing a rumble of thunder, I feel a bit of regret that I didn't just run out in the pasture, arms outstretched, turning in circles, free.  The day is but young and more rain to come !
Windows are open, gentle music filling the space around me.  Embracing this moment in time where I can listen to silence, listen to some music or fill my ears with the sound of rain falling on the metal roof of the porch.  Today is a day for not allowing technology take away my time for listening.
here is the recipe for . . .

Finnish Pancakes.

4 tbsp butter, melted
4 eggs
2 c milk
1/2 c flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoons of cardamon
Preheat oven to 450o, melt butter in the oven in a 9″x16″ baking pan.
Beat eggs until foamy, until well-blended. Beat with milk, flour, sugar, cardamon and salt.
I put all the ingredients in the blender.  Pour into pan with butter and bake 20-23 minutes.
Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar or thicken some blueberries and pour over the pancakes.  I sometimes serve with a bit of jam.

Comments

Rose said…
Your pancakes sound delicious, i love the new blog picture. Patty i think of you when the weather starts to turn cooler, i know how you love the snow.
I found your blog two winters ago, it was a snowy day and i was sitting infront of our woodburner, i was hooked ha!
Best wishes to you jackie x
aimee said…
Patty~
Thank you SO much for sharing your recipe for Finnish pancakes--they sound fabulous!

May I ask a question? (if you are too busy to answer I will understand) I have been much more careful of checking labels and staying away from high fructose syrup since I started reading your blog. I am also no longer buying aluminum foil and am using alternatives...but what do you use on your pie edges? Are you comfortable with the silicone pie shields or do you use parchment paper or something else to protect them from browning too much? I have a lot of Gravenstein and heirloom apples that are begging to become a pie...

Next time you will have to dance in the rain...as dry as the Pacific NW is right now, I would if we should be blessed with some.

Blessings,
Aimee
Lynn Dykstra said…
Thank you for the recipe
I made it this morning and we are enjoying it with sour cherry jam.

Popular Posts