Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumn Whole Grain Bread


Autumn Whole Grain Bread

in a large mixing bowl, combine:
2 cups warm milk
2 Tablespoons baking yeast, (2 packages)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

let set until bubbly and doubled in size, about 30 minutes
add to this mixture:
3 Tablespoons soft butter or olive oil works
2 cups unbleached white flour
stir until well blended
now mix in remaining flours:
1 cup of rye flour
2 cups of whole wheat flour. This is a soft dough so I add and additional cup of white flour as I am kneading it so I can check the texture. It should not stick to your hands but is slightly sticky to the touch.

Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise until double in size, about an hour.
Punch down, let it rest for a few minutes, then divide the dough in half, shape into two round, slightly flattened balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover with a damp clean cloth and let raise until doubled in size.
Brush with an egg wash.
Bake in a 300 degree oven for about an hour, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped.


I honestly don't remember where this recipe came from but it is one I have made for many years and we all love it. Its wonderful toasted.

2 Comments:

Blogger eyelandgirl said...

This sounds good to me, Patty, I'll have to try it. I have all kinds of machines and mixers, but hand-kneaded bread(I call it low-tech bread) has a lovely texture you just can't get any other way. What music were you playing on the video?

Friday, September 24, 2010  
Blogger Patty said...

The music is Patrick Ball playing the Irish Harp.
He has a web site. We have been listening to him for about 20 years now.

Friday, September 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home