Last week I blackened and cleaned our little wood stove. Since our wood is delivered and the cold weather is just around the corner, it was time to get the job done. I must admit, the job is not a bothersome job to me but a good one. Knowing that in a couple weeks our evenings will be spent sitting by the stove, watching the flames and catching a drift of that wonderful smell of wood burning when someone opens the door to come or go. Wood heat is cozy. Plain and simple. I just love the way the wood stove door sort of moans when you open it to add more wood. I love the silly unspoken challenge we have in this house as to which of us is the best fire builder.
But nothing compares to the aroma of a big cast iron kettle of stew simmering on the stove all day long. Or how on a very cold morning pancakes cooking on the griddle makes the front of your body all hot from standing by the stove and your back is still chilly. And how good it feels to lay a huge stack of steaming pancakes on the table and watch everyone go for them. Probably tomorrow night we will fire up the stove for the first time in months and I sure am looking forward to it.

Comments

Sunny said…
Save me some stew please.

Popular Posts