The garden is in a stage of transition. There are just a few tomatoes left on the vines and just a few small eggplant hung on some rather sad looking plants. The last of the zucchini lay under some much dry and withered leaves. I am thankful all the same for what I can harvest.
New plants fill the raised beds. Food for winter months in the making. Each day I go inspect the rows and pull out any weeds trying to take root. This daily watch sure makes you appreciative of what you pull from the earth, cook and put on the table. So many times in the last decade I have thought about the homesteads of the late 1800's in this area. How we have seen years of drought, or grasshoppers or winds that destroy everything we have planted. We just go the supermarket and replace what lost, but back then you just went hungry. Money was scarce and if the crops failed, life was just plain hard.
Its 4:30 am and my day is beginning. Its too dark out to see for sure, but is smells and sounds like some rain is falling. Must have come in with the cold front. What a welcome sight rain is. Our land crunches under your feet its so dry. There are cracks in the soil. Farmers had little hay this year and my tender young plants are getting a long awaited drink from the sky. The air coming in the window is cool. A welcome change !I am debating on if I should put a sweater on. Naw, think I will just be chilly and enjoy it.

Comments

Popular Posts