Last night a cold north wind blew into our area. The sky went from a clear sunny blue to ribbons of gray in a matter of hours.
Giving one a sense of urgency to get the wood in and water the animals before the sky faded into the darkness of early evening. The winds were strong, about 20 mph and pushed and tugged at my skirts hem while I hurried to get the last load of wash off the clothes lines. They had been beaten soft by this wintry north wind.
The chickens and rabbits were watered and fed in record time.
My husband and I passing each other often in doing our chores for the evening. His arms loaded with wood for the stove each time he passed me. As the evening grew cold we took out the down comforter.
This morning the cold floor felt strange since summer lasted exceptionally long this year, I had almost forgotten what a cold wood floor felt like. With a little coaxing, the coals in the stove grew into a nice warm fire in no time. I put coffee in the percolator, headed out to do chores. The smell of fresh coffee greeted my nose as I came in the house. In no time at all I had sweet potato pancakes cooking on the stove too. Topped the pancake with a pat of warm butter and honest to goodness Maple syrup from Vermont, (thanks Melissa). My pot of coffee next to me, it felt just a bit like heaven.
Hard to get up from my cozy spot and get to work !

Comments

Sunny said…
The cold wind has now joined us up here.

Popular Posts