It seems silly to be grateful for cold feet climbing into bed but I was grateful last night for them. Its a sign that things are changing. Pulling the quilts up over me felt so cozy.
On the farm, spring and fall bring about times of preparation. In spring you prepare for new baby animals, you prepare garden beds for planting and you ready barns and mend fences. Spring cleaning includes putting away winter items.
Fall time is another time of preparation. Barns are cleaned and filled full of bedding. Hay mangers are filled to the brim daily as grazing is low. Garden beds are mulched and made ready for cold. Lawn mowers are pushed to the back of the sheds and hoses put away. Wood is cut, stacked and ready for use. Kindling cut and stored in barrels. Fed bins full and the sweet grain fills the barn with good country smells. Hay is stacked high and you always find yourself climbing up on the stack and looking around with a sense of readiness. Fall time has a good smell on the farm.

I was outside taking stock of what has been done and what is still needing to be done. The smoke from the woodstove curling up over the roof and mingling with the low rain clouds.
Acorns scattered under the oak trees, juniper berries decorating the juniper tree in wonderful gray blue. Pecans hanging stubbornly onto the tree. Soon we will be picking them and cracking nuts in the long evenings. I pulled my flannel shirt tighter around me, the damp chill sending shivers over me. I started thinking about that pot of Pumpkin Spice coffee freshly brewed waiting for me in the house. My mental list of things to be done tomorrow, firmly stuck in my head, I can go inside and sit by the fire, warm my hands with my coffee cup and then do some knitting. I feel pretty content with my life. Somedays it just feels like I have it all !

God has blessed us in so many ways.

Comments

Popular Posts