Thankfulness

Thanksgiving is right around the corner now, and its a good time to think about all the things we have to be thankful for in our lives. I often think about the early years of the pilgrims and how difficult their day to day life would be. The statistics for survival in those early years tells a sad story, yet they celebrated their thankfulness for whatever they had. We have so much these days and yet complain when we stand in line longer than we think we should. There are young children that complain when they don't have the latest cell phone or the newest computer, yet forget to think about how blessed they are to have a dray and warm bed to sleep in where snow and rain do not come in through the cracks.
More of us go to bed worried about being overweight, than go to bed without food in the house. We have so much to be grateful for, to feel blessed about even on what may seem like our darkest day. We have life, we have freedom, we have easy access to communication. Most of us know love in some degree.
This morning as I worked around the house, getting things ready for the holiday, cleaning under beds, washing floors and waxing them, I thought how blessed I am to live in a home where the floors can be washed and waxed, they are not made of mud. I felt blessed that on Thursday our little home will be full of family and the table spread with plenty. That I can easily tell each person at the table that I love them and mean it. I feel blessed beyond words for a life uncomplicated. I am thankful for being the 10th great grand-daughter of Frances Cooke who sailed on the Mayflower and settled in Plymouth and got to see his great grandchildren, his life was long and his family flourished. I am thankful for having roots that tell the story of seeking religious freedom and risking everything to live wholly for God.
I am thankful for so many things...
Love
Freedom
Children to love and be loved by
Grandchildren, such joy
Lack of want
Cupboards full of food
Fresh water to drink
Phones, computers and mail
Faith
Hope
A lifestyle I love
Eyes that see
Ears that hear
Music
Hand holding
Never feeling lonely
Money to pay the bills
The beauty of creation to behold every day
Good health
Energy
Being able to sleep soundly every night
Good relationships with my children
Being in love and being loved
The changing of seasons
Tradition
History

Comments

Popular Posts