Ft Worth Botanic Gardens

Melanie and I took Mei-Ling to the Botanic Gardens the other day to help cultivate in her a love of nature, which seems to come naturally to children but still its good to take as many opportunities as possible to surround little ones with the wonders of the outdoor world. Teach them the names of plants and animals and help them discover the joy of looking deeply at the handiwork of creation.
Mei-Ling, like most children has an insatiable appetite for learning new things and we spent about an hour in one spot as she pushed buttons that played the bird sounds of the birds that inhabit that particular area of the Gardens. It's a special children's discovery area and Mei-Ling was determined to discover all that she could. Poor wee one cried when it was time to leave, she was not ready to go ! Children are like little sponges, soaking up the world around them, and it really is our responsibility as parents and grandparents to offer them wonderful experiences that open their minds and hearts to the good things in life. The beauty and serenity of things like nature reserves and botanic gardens are among the most wonderful experiences in my humble opinion. Emery and I spent many many hours hiking with the children and taking them to the places we knew would foster a love of nature and it paid off, I think, like many things, it has to be started when they are very young in order for this love of the natural world to be with them forever. Our boys were older when we adopted them, and they just don't share that same appreciation of nature that the girls have. I so often remind myself of this little quote I had to memorize in school, "Nature and revelation alike testify of God's love. Our Father in heaven is the source of life, of wisdom, and of joy. Look at the wonderful and beautiful things of nature. Think of their marvelous adaptation to the needs and happiness, not only of man, but of all living creatures. The sunshine and the rain, that gladden and refresh the earth, the hills and seas and plains, all speak to us of the Creator's love. It is God who supplies the daily needs of all His creatures. " ~E.G.White~
I memorized this about 40 years ago and have never forgotten it, its profound and holds such truth.
On my darkest days, I have only to go out and spend time in nature and I know that all will be well one way or another. When we were loosing Melanie when she was just 7, I had been in the hospital for days on end, right by her bedside and only when I walked outside for a brief moment, looking up to the black velvet sky, with tiny diamond like stars sparkling in the cold mountain air, did I feel refreshed, revived and overwhelmed with a sense of knowing God was in control and it would be fine. Nature showed me once again, the strength and power of God.
We need to foster a love of Gods handiwork in our children so they too can have a better understanding of His love for us. They need to learn to notice the designs of flower petals, listen for bird songs and be aware of the tiny details that were made with such care and with such a master plan that we cannot even comprehend. To learn to watch for the changes in the seasons, the cycles of life so they too will see with open eyes the needs of others, catching the details of life in general through observation.
There wasn't much planning into this little field trip, it was spur of the moment. We asked Priscilla and Elizabeth to join us but they couldn't make it, so now we will put some planning into our next trip so both little girls can enjoy the day together.

Comments

Janette said…
Giving opportunity- that is what I think grandparenting is. Well, unconditional love AND opportunity:>)
The pictures were so lovely- thank you.
Anonymous said…
First off, I just want to say I am happy that all your tests have come back good! Glory to G-d!

Second, I am wondering where Melanie gets Mei's clothes? I love that little dress she has on in these pictures...beautiful and so "little-girl" like. I can't stand the clothes the babies wear these days!

Again, glad everything turned out ok!

Grace & Peace
Pam

Popular Posts