A Chill In The Air


The cold front blew through around 4 this morning. Leaves falling in the same manner as what I imagine the line from "Twas The Night Before Christmas" when it speaks of "dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky".
The morning sky was gray, yet friendly looking. Bits of blue poking out from behind the fast moving bands of clouds. My fingers stung a bit from the cold as I watered the animals and put hay in the manger. I felt invigorated, more alive...but the cold always does that to me. Farm chores done, I gathered an armload of wood and got the stove going, and put a pot of coffee on.
In no time at all, I was mixing up a double batch of chocolate chip pumpkin bread. Good smells from the kitchen, spicy fall smells mixing with the scent of wood smoke made it feel so homey, so old fashioned good kind of smell. The rocking chair by the window was so inviting, my shawl draped over the back, inviting. A great pile of wool next to the spinning wheel waiting to be turned into yarn for a sweater. In no time at all, my hands were busy at the task of spinning soft gray wool roving into fine Shetland yarn. A perfect morning and what feels to me like a perfectly simple life.

Comments

What a blessing to still have food from the garden even as the weather grows colder.
Lynn Hasty said…
That does sound like perfect simplicity! I love cool mornings too. And shawls. And everything you mentioned. :)

Lynn
Julian said…
cool yes. Here in Texas city it will get into the 60s. Sunny but coool! Love the grey of the wool.... Wish i had some to use in my blanket!
:) Christina

Popular Posts