Tools of The Trade


When visiting the Texas Ranger Museum with my dad and Emery, they were busy looking at guns and cowboy hats. I searched out the womanly exhibits, that showed the type of home these brave law men had so long ago.
This picture is from just such an exhibit.
It shows a woman's tools of being a housewife in those days. Nimble fingers would hold the wool as it twisted and formed yarn. Careful pouring of wax would be required to make the candles and patience would be needed to churn the heavy cream into butter for her families needs. Sewing done by hand of if you were lucky you might have had a treadle machine. Lighting was poor in most homes but that never stopped fine hand work from being done.
A cookbook of favorite recipes carefully hand written out.
I wonder what an exhibit will look like 150 years from now for a woman's tools of homemaking.
Bread machines, dishwashers, food processors, embroidery machines, prepared foods and restaurant parking lots full.
Turn these items on, go sit down to the computer or talk on the phone and let the work be done.
My dad has enjoyed his visit here he said, its like revisiting the old days. Home made food, no boxed or frozen meals. The smell of bread baking and thick slices for sandwiches.
Snowy white clothes fresh off the line, smelling of fresh air. Eggs gathered off the nests, yolks standing tall and full of color. The warmth of the fire, a rocking chair and lamplight.
Cheery conversations around the table at meal time. No one in a rush to leave the table. Laughter throughout the day about silly things, like fat cats hanging on the door.
Floors scrubbed on hands and knees, filling the house with pine scent. Sparkling clean.
Having pride in keeping my house tidy and ship shape but not feeling like a slave to it.
I like the old ways. Mixing a cake with a spoon until the batter is light and fluffy. Throwing out the scraps for the chickens to eat and watching them come running as I walk out the back door with a bowl of stuff for them. No need for a garbage disposal !
Its all so simple and uncomplicated.
At the end of the day, when prayers are prayed with hands folded, its a good feeling to be tired and know day is done, complete with a mind free of stress.
Give me the tools of the trade from long ago anything !


Comments

Alena said…
Lovely post, Patty... Nice, nice, nice...
Anonymous said…
Nice post, Patty! I really enjoyed reading it this morning.
sidulrike said…
I wholeheartedly agree with you on some things but am greatful for some modern day inventions (not just the computer :-D). I do not enjoy housework but I enjoy a clean house, I do enjoy being tired at night from hard work but I also enjoy sitting down with my kids to read a book together, do a craft or just sit on the beach by the river to skip stones, watch clouds and do silly things - without some of the newer household helpers I would not be able to do these thing I think. I always just use a wooden spoon to make the batter of anything fluffy, I´ve even made whipped cream by hand, enjoy making things from scratch (as opposed to scratching the box open..lol) but I think that´s a german thing anyways :-D. We just brought in the firewood for my neighbors fireplace yesterday and I was reminded of how much I miss working physically as I used to when I lived in the mountains.
I´m so glad you get to live this simple life just as I am glad I have a mix of old and new in mine. My ideal would be to live on a farm with the whole family working together and coming together for meals and such but being able to retreat to their own 4 walls afterwards. If that was possible I think life could be alot more simple without dishwashers and microwaves but it will most likely always stay a dream for me.
I´m glad you had such a good time with your father - next time we´re in the area I´ll make sure we check out the texas ranger museum!!! :-D
Anonymous said…
I love this post - you certainly have a talent for writing and giving the reader the "sights, smells and sounds" of what you're trying to convey - thanks!

I wash my floors on my hands and knees too - better for my back and a better clean I believe.

True enough about all the machines we use at the moment - none of which are useful in a power cut - but "simple" tools will never stop working unless we do :-)
JacquiG said…
I so enjoy the way you write. And sometimes I so envy your lifestyle. I know, we shouldn't envy, and I do have a great life (that I'm grateful for), but going out to work full time every day doesn't leave me the time to enjoy life and my home the way I would really like to.

Breadmaking is an example. I'd love to make bread the old fashioned way, but it's a task that takes more time that I have so fresh bread for me has to come from a bread machine.

I think for some reason today I'm really feeling like I'd rather be home putting around and making my house a home, than be here at work with my mind not really on the task at hand. But ...

Keep on writing as you do, Patty. Checking your blog regularly is becoming an important part of my daily routine (at home or at work)!

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts