Pre-Thanksgiving Thoughts

Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday. First off, I do not like turkey, and hate having a holiday that centers around food so much. Plus, in 1990 we almost lost Melanie to diabetes over Thanksgiving and yes we are indeed Thankful that she made it and is with us, but there is always this reminder of her illness with us, and Thanksgiving is when this monster of a disease first showed up and changed life as we had known it.
The history of Thanksgiving is one to be thankful for, a new land, religious freedom and I am the 10th Great grand-daughter of Francis Cooke who came over on the Mayflower, so there is a personal connection for me to that first Thanksgiving. But that still doesn't make me like turkey. It does make me want to hold on to the real meaning of the day though.
It seems the day has mutated into a day of gluttony and football games. The real reason for the day lost in mounds of mashed potatoes and in heaps of stuffing.
If I could have my way, it would be a day when Television would have shows about the first settlers and why they came here. Not football games.
It would be a time when families would share their table with neighbors and talk about what they are thankful for. Children being told the story of the pilgrims and perhaps more emphasis on history and what was accomplished by these brave and sacrificing folks did for future generations.
Maybe Thanksgiving reminds me of how scattered some of us are from family and how the days of several generations in one kitchen preparing a meal together is rare. I am not trying to be a bah humbug about the holiday, but its just not my favorite day. Its that turkey mostly. No getting around it, its one of my least favorite foods.
I am cooking something called a dinner roast for me. Its vegetarian and is great sliced with stuffing and gravy. This year I am cooking less food, no one needs to get stuffed, that's the birds job.
It feels awkward, almost silly to sit around the table and talk about what each of us is most thankful for. Most everyone is trying to find the best answer and not really thinking about the nitty gritty stuff we are thankful for. Its like rehearsing a prayer when you just know someone is going to ask you to pray and you want to sound good. Somehow you forget to be real in those kinds of moments.
No doubt I need an attitude adjustment regarding this holiday. I feel like such a Scrooge.
Maybe you can all tell me what's good about Thanksgiving for you, apart from the food that is.

Found some more pumpkin color wool in a basket, so got to spin it this afternoon.
Frost on the pumpkin from another year. This year is going to be in the high 70's for the temperture, no frost this year.


Comments

Granny said…
Ugh . . I'm glad I'm not coming to your house for Thanksgiving! :) Have you ever had fried turkey? I'm not crazy about roasted turkey but I could eat it every day fried.

I understand what you're saying though. I'd just be thankful if suddenly all the tv's in the whole world disappeared . . forever!

Judy L.
Sunny said…
I get your point, but, I'm the opposite. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. This tip won't work for you but, (ha ha) I have especially loved it for the last few years since Jimmy took over the cooking. Also, it is the only one they haven't managed to commercialize completely to death. Since we don't have TV I don't have to mess with the noisy games and parades. (there's a blessing.) Don't much care for turkey either but, also don't have to eat it (or anything else-there have been thanksgivings when I just enjoyed being with family and didn't eat a bite.)
This year our family has a lot to be thankful for, in spite of our recent loss. We are going to "do Thanksgiving" for the sake of the children, whose lives must go on. They need to build up these memories with their cousins etc. Will do the family good to get together and observe rituals.

A group of Canadian bloggers have graciously taken me (and a few other yanks)into their fold. They have their thanksgiving at an earlier date. This year they did a great "blogging about what I'm giving thanks for" event. I was thankful to be a part of it. Many of them were thankful to part of that particular blogosphere. Me too! Warmed my heart. Kind of sappy but I like thanks giving.

BTW, one thing I'm thankful for is your blog and your friendship. Rondi and Debbie too. (hi gals).
Peggy said…
I love Thanksgiving. Though I give thanks everyday its a special day set aside where we can give special thanks for all our many blessings. I like turkey but its not carved in stone you have to serve it. Some family members serve ham or baked chicken. Yes, there are mashed potatoes, etc but its a blessing we have that food to put on our table, It doesn't mean we have to stuff ourselves. One of my best memories of Thanksgiving is watching the parade with my mother. She is no longer with us but I will watch the parade and be thankful I have my memories of her. I am thankful that for one day all over the US there are family members that don't get along that great put aside their differences and get together. Many men (and women) will gather around the tv for ballgames and laugh and cheer when the rest of the year they are many miles apart. I have lost a husband, mother, father, sister, brother, inlaws, grandparents, grandchild but I am going to be giving thanks that I had them in my life and they each left me with wonderful memories and in their own special way left a mark in how I live my life. I may get down some days but Thanksgiving I am going to open my eyes giving thanks and keeping giving thanks for all my blessings till I fall asleep that night. I am thankful for a special day to give those extra thank yous to God and thats the one day I will not ask him for anything, just giving thanks. Sorry this comment was so long. :)
Anonymous said…
I also get your point, but I've come to the conclusion that every get together surrounds food. Doesn't have to be a turkey, but every time we get a bunch together we have to eat!
We're not football people, so the television isn't centered around our holiday. We like to get outside and show visitors what we've been doing or just to view the countryside.
The thursday in November is only as commercialized as you want it to be.
My Dad's funeral was the day before thanksgiving in 2000, so I can relate.

P.S. It's also my 27th wedding anniversary!!
Patty said…
Judy, I am in a better mood now, so you can come for turkey if you want : )
Patty said…
I know what you are saying Sunny. I love looking back through time and remembering all the family holidays as a child, memories !
My mothers family is Canadian so yup their thanksgiving is earlier and not so commercial.
Patty said…
Hi Peggy,
Your post was certainly not too long, it was good and mindful of the things that matter.
I was just plain being a grinch type yesterday. In a better mood today : )
Patty said…
Hi Mama Koch,
You are right about the food part and that doesn't bother me, we are social folks in this world and food makes things more delightful, its just that everyone feels the need to OVER eat on Thanksgiving to the point of discomfort. Why, I have no idea. I heard the average person in the US consumes over 4,000 calories on Thanksgiving day !
Genuine Lustre said…
We've had a bit of dysfunctional family stress here too.
I dream of packing a suitcase and some books and just hiding out in an undiclosed woodland location for the weekend.
I'm Canadian so Thanksgiving is well over here. We had a roast Country Chicken this year at my parents. It was yummy and everyone enjoyed it. Personally I missed the smell of the turkey roasting and all the trimmings. We've had different experiences over the years but one thing I've noticed as my girls grow older is that they help and its not so much about the food its about being with loved ones. Not a day goes by that I'm not totally thankful for the blessing of being all of my girls mom!
Patty said…
Hey Polly, I have been considering running away to Tuscany....want to go too : )
Oops. I just saw your spinnig wheel. Now that the former question was answered, How did you learn to spin? Where did you get your wheel? Do you think it's a good idea for someone who loves to knit,crochet,blog,take care of her family and wants to learn to play the hammerd dulicmer? Crazy?
Patty said…
I think its wonderful when anyone wants to learn to spin. If you are near by, I am south of Ft Worth, I would be happy to teach you.
It never hurts to have a million interests !

Popular Posts