A Chassidic Story and Memories

Sometimes a simple act can bring a flood of powerful memories to the surface. Today that happened to me. At Goodwill the other day I found a perfect Battenberg lace table cloth. It is loaded with detail and just pristine.
This morning as I was doing some things around the house, I decided to lay this snowy white cloth on the table. Simple enough, it seemed but that very ordinary act nearly brought me to my knees. Its Friday. A white cloth. Reminders of my many years of preparing for Shabbos. Preparing for Sabbath. Suddenly I remembered just what it smelled like having Challah baking, the kitchen a hustle and bustle of activity, preparing for the most delightful of times. Table set with the very best china, and sparkling silver everywhere. Candles lit with the blessing sung. The girls each with their own single candle, learning in Hebrew the age old blessing, sung for so many generations and sung all over the world each Friday night. I laughed remembering Melanie opening books in English the wrong way. She learned to read Hebrew before English.
I felt a longing, a sadness that we no longer have 24 hours different than the rest of the week.
I had a longing for service at Chabad... the singing, the feeling of anticipation of the Sabbath. The total busy-ness of getting the house ready and food made, and then rest.
Its hard to put into words the feelings I felt today from just laying a new white table cloth on the table. I wanted to polish the candle sticks, hear my children singing Sabbath songs and making certain the matches were ready for candle lighting. Bringing out the special wine and smelling foods that were made just for this special time and food slowing simmering for the next days meal.
I remembered how sure I was of God's love and power and His mercy. Somewhere along the way I lost some of that feeling.
But now, knowing Melanie was sleeping soundly on the sofa in the livingroom, alive and with a new life inside her. Her health being restored. A Doctors visit today that assured us of that.
Knowing how close we came to loosing them both, I felt His mercy, His compassion.
When I told Steven today about what had happened to his sister, he cried. He understands what a treasure Melanie is to all of us.
A few days ago I received an email with this story in it. It put it all together for me....
A Coin

By Shoshannah Brombacher------------------------ Chassidic master Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Rymanov (c.1755-1815) was a very special person, an ascetic who was known for his tremendous awe of G-d, his modesty and his passionate prayers, and people came to see him because he was considered a miracle worker as well.Despite all his accomplishments, the Rymanover Rebbe did not have money and he didn't care for money either. He was actually so poor that he often could not feed his children.There is a beautiful story about how he came home one day and found his little son crying, for the poor boy had not eaten in a long time. "I can't bear being hungry anymore!" sobbed the child. With a bleeding heart his father rebuked him: "If your hunger was really as great as you say, G-d would provide something..."The boy could not stop crying and he left the room in tears. After a moment his father called him back and said to him: "Please forgive me, my sweet child! I had no idea that your hunger was so overwhelming. I just took one of my books off the table and look what I found next to it--a coin. You see, G-d always helps when it is needed most. Now go and buy some bread and make a blessing..."We often think we that can't hold out any longer, be it hunger, grief or some other test, but G-d knows what we truly need and at the right moment--which He alone knows--He gives. So trust Him and Him alone.

My table tonight

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
Lovely story, Patty. Happy Sabbath!
I also remember my Bubby (Great-Grand Mother) baking challah early Friday Morning and preparing dinner. I loved standing next to her lighting Shabbat Candles. I too have a table cloth made by my Bubby my Moms, Mom).

Shabbat Shalom
Anonymous said…
A beautiful post, Patricia. . .I'm teary. The blessing of the Sabbath rest, God's gifts and safekeeping of our loved ones (especially Melanie and baby right now), the beauty of tradition. May God bless you this Sabbath day. Much love from LaTeaDah.
Carrie J said…
Beautiful story. I'm glad that Melanie is ok. I sent you an email this morning just in case you haven't checked you inbox. It is a small world.
Carrie
wendybirde said…
I too almost converted to Orthodox Judaism, but even when I decided not to convert I still keep Shabbat (why is here: http://thebluebirdofhappinesscomestotea.blogspot.com/2006/07/good-shabbas.html), there is no way I would let it go. I'm not as strict about it as I used to be, for example here I am on the computer, but I definitely still do the prayers, the meal, the candles, the feeling. And maybe someday I will deepen the resting part more again and not write etc.

There are lots of folks who keep a Christian Shabbat. A couple good links are http://www.aboverubies.org/articles/THESHABBATMEAL.htm and http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Shabbat/shabbat.html.

Good Shabbas : )
Patty said…
Hi Wendy,
Were you going to convert by way of a Chabad rabbi ?
I would not need to convert : ) Neither do my daughters.
But know of several converts to orthodox Judaism.
Perhaps I have missed somewhere in your writings... but you keep alluding to what you "were" in the past and I can't really piece together what exactly that might have been. I saw the pictures of your son's wedding (my warmest congratulations!) and I see that they dress very plain - and understand that you did at one time too. And yet now you confuse me a bit more with your writing of your preparation for the Sabbath. :) Could you please clarify for me?

And I was so sorry to read of Melanie's - and all of your - ordeal. Sometimes life just jolts you like that. I've been busy for a day or two; then I catch up on all my regular blogs and what a shock! Much more so for all of you, I know. I am so glad to hear she is well. Will she need to continue to get regular rest throughout her pregnancy? My younger sister is expecting her first baby too... I think I shall giver her a call. :)

May God continue to bless you and your family.
Patty said…
Sure Mrs Pivac, heres the history....
part of the mennonite community for many years. but not mennonite by birth. I suspect you can guess what I am by birth !
Patty said…
Opps sorry Mrs Pivec, I spelled your name wrong in the last comment. Used an A when it should have been an E
wendybirde said…
Hi Patty,

I was going to convert through an Orthodox rabbi, he was wasnt Chabad/Hasidic, but was still very deeply Orthodox.

There is so much beauty in Orthodox Judaism, even though in the end I didnt convert. But nothing could pry Shabbat away : )

I am finding Orthodoxness itself really holds a core depth...Orthodox Judaism, Western Orthodox, Orthodox Catholic, Orthodox Anglican, the Plain, etc. Something about Orthodoxy seems to keep the heart intact. And I think the Orthodox of any of these faiths have more in common with one another than they do with the more watered down liberal branches of their own branch of faith (ie an Orthodox Catholic likely has more in common with an Orthodox Anglican than with a non-orthodox Catholic etc). There is something deeply core about orthodoxy itself.

I had no idea you were raised Jewish. I was raised Catholic (no surprise there I'm sure) though I also have some Jewish ancestry. Anyway, I really enjoyed this post Patty : ) Wendy

Popular Posts