Needed to be Inspired, to Find my Balance

Sometimes we get so caught up in the busy-ness of life or the singlemindedness, that some areas of our life slip. Its been that way for me lately.
I have gotten lazy in some areas, or maybe not lazy but lost focus. It seems that maintaining an even balance and consistency is not always easy in this world we live in.
When I read other blogs I see the same things in other folks. Its not only in me and that's a bit of a comfort since misery does indeed love company. One week someone will write that its all about getting rid of the stuff. Stuff they excitedly brought into the house last month and now they are overwhelmed by it. There is talk of resolve to do this or that, but looking back you see that falls by the wayside. We have so many things thrown at us in this multimedia life. Its hard to remain on the slow and steady pathway.
Seems we need to work on maintaining the bits of many aspects that make the puzzle whole and a balanced picture is not an easy task. We get caught up, inspired and then forget the parts we need to maintain.
In my world, my personal space in this time of my life, I need to keep my surroundings pretty but without spending a fortune. But I can fast climb on the bandwagon and forget to nurture myself with the things that are good.
Meal time has been one of those. I need to create for myself a delightful setting in which to eat simple and healthy foods and take the time to enjoy it.
Same with my appearance. Look good and not see that as some departure from simple living. Simple living is perhaps non existent. Nothing is really simple since there are so many factors in life that change daily, bombarding us with choices and options. Maybe we are chasing some elusive Unicorn in seeking to have things simple and filled with daily same-ness. Sure we can cut down on the things that add stress and help us to live moral and ethical lives but that is not any simple task when the flow of mankind is heading the other way.
We can always seek the good things from the olden days, the honorable things, but not to focus so much on throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Simple living doesn't mean, frumpy clothes, or just spending the day over the stove, or forgetting to surround ourselves with beauty and grace.
Its not about hauling wood and making soap, its about not buying into consumerism that consumes us. Its about living modestly and reaching out more. Its about not getting caught up in a plastic world where things take on more value than people. But on the flip side, seeking the simple life can become all consuming too, and make us judgmental to folks that are caught up in the whirlwind ride of modern society. For me, city living would make me crazy. I need to connect with the land, with the scenes of nature that make me certain the world is run by the, oh how funny, no matter how hard I try I cannot think of how to say it in English, but only in Hebrew, funny how the mind works, "Creator of the Universe" , yes that's it.
Country life seems more simple to me, easier to stay grounded and aware of what really matters to me. In the city I think it would be easy for me to get caught up in a bunch of stuff that would make me unhappy.
Maybe simple living is all about surrounding yourself with the balance of things that keep you uncluttered mind wise.
Anyway, this morning, my croissant, coffee and Paris Cafe music made me feel a bit more civilized and a whole lot more in sync. Maybe I could shop today for clothes and find something.
Its not easy admitting you get distracted on the road of self discovery. We just need to maintain that childlike enthusiasm for life and embrace the challenge of it all
.
There is no shame in loosing your balance once in a while. I sure don't mind admitting that I don't always keep the big picture in view. Besides, I know everyone already knows it about me : )



Comments

Thank you for such a real post. As I think I've said before, I can get so caught up in the idea of simple living that I unknowingly forget about people that are put in my life to be served and loved on.

I just love reading your blog!

Have a thoughtFUL day. ;-)
wendybirde said…
This was such a lovely post Patty, such a deep and balanced look at simplicity : )
Anonymous said…
To fall off the wagon at times is human and gives us growth opportunities. Meeting and overcoming challenges realigns our temporal self with our soul. One of the biggest "fights" is to be in the world but not of it. Your posts remind us of this and certainly helps me to focus again from time to time - thank you :-)
smilnsigh said…
"Maybe simple living is all about surrounding yourself with the balance of things that keep you uncluttered mind wise."

Such lovely, lovely words of Wisdom!

Thank you.

The more I read here, the more your views resonate with mine. And we do love to find kindred spirits. :-)

Again, thank you.

Popular Posts