My Style is Slipping

Went shopping to Goodwill today after going to Weight Watchers. I am in need of some smaller clothes. Looking at rack after rack of clothes, I just could not decide what "style" to look for. I am done with the frumpy jumpers in life and the cutsie embroidered blouses with scarecrows and snowmen. I feel like an old hippy in hemp or flax clothing and that style just doesn't seem to be me any more. Natural fibers appeal to me, but at the same time, I like that crisp look, more put together than jeans and tee's. Besides I did get the "man out of my closet" not so long ago. Strange though, in going to the gym, the "man" has come back into the closet. First for work outs, but somehow I find myself staying in those oversized mans tee shirts the entire day. Granted I wear them with cutsie yoga pants that fit well, but still.
So here I am wandering the isles of Goodwill, having no concept of what to buy. I suspect part of that is my body shape. Its a bit dumpy. Humpty Dumpty actually. I want to look svelte, sophisticated when I go out the door. That will come in time, I have no doubt about it, but right now, I feel like elastic waist and baggy. Comfortable sneakers, and cotton knit pants.
But, that seems to affect my choices and actions some. We are going out on our dates to elastic waist places, not the Cafe on the Run, or the French Cafes and sitting for hours over a coffee and splitting a pastry. Its been Pizza or Taco's. Makes me forget to comb my hair and put on a favorite pair of earrings.
I am not talking about the pursuit of vanity here, more like the pursuit of looking nice for myself and for my amazing husband. Looking good, makes us feel better about ourselves.
Frump allows us to be frumpy eaters, frumpy cooks, frumpy dates. Yes, I date my husband, always have, but more now that the children are grown.
I came out of Goodwill without one single purchase.
Guess its time to watch Under the Tuscan Sun and French Kiss and get inspired.
It doesn't take lots of money to look put together, it just takes some inertia ! Guess you know what I have been lacking in : )

Comments

Carrie J said…
I am at the same stage in my personal style. I love blue jeans and wear them almost everyday. My weight has caused clothes shopping to be a rather depressing undertaking at times. Working at home does away with the need for a large wardrobe, compounded by the fact that I use paint and end up with at least a little on everything I wear, so I don't want anything too fancy. I do feel a need to be a little bit more "grown up" in my wardrobe, a little more polished and still be very comfortable.
Patty said…
Hi Amity,
Been down the Chic scene and like it but not sure where I want to go right this moment in a style for me, and until this road of self discovery becomes a bit more defined, it will still be a tough call for me on what style matches the who I am and what kind of statement I want to make. Will be looking up Laura Bennett, thanks. Just need to know what type of "polish" is needed for whatever kind of container I turn out to be.

Popular Posts