Changing Colors, Changing Seasons

After a morning of strolling the land, some sort of stomach bug invaded my body, making me feel less than energetic and really quite crumby feeling.
The late morning found me laying on the sofa, trying to read, but not finding any book interesting enough to put the strength needed to hold it up. I surrendered and just laid there looking out the window, watching leaves fall from the sky, carried on the breeze so easily, like feathers or huge golden snow flakes.
The colors of fall this year are quite amazing for Texas. Yellows, gold's, reds and oranges. Usually it is mostly brown and dull.
I am reminded of how kind God is to give us such a show of colors each season. I am sure He didn't have to do that, but chose to delight our eye and heart with splashes of color each season. The emerald green of spring, the bright flowers of summer, the palate of autumn colors, and the rich and thought provoking white and grays of winter.
Each seasons colors evoking different emotional reactions in us. We have a "wintry mix" in this weeks forecast. All my life I have prayed for snow in winter. I love the stuff, and don't even mind shoveling it. This week there is a bit of hope for something to fall in the frozen variety. This news of cold coming has me scrambling to prepare for all the things needed to make a cozy winter night. Popcorn, hot chocolate, lots of wood and kindling for the stove. Sweaters handy, woolen hats hung on their hooks. Warm gloves sticking out of jacket pockets. Ingredients on hand for cold weather comfort foods.
Warm winter curtains now hang where valances were all summer long. The Christmas decorations find their way down from the barns loft and fill the living room with chaos until they are all unpacked and put in their proper place.
Strings of Christmas lights waiting to be untangled and then hung outside. We put them away so carefully each year but by some great mystery, they tangle in the box all by themselves.
Its all part of the wonderful cycle of the year.
Many trees are bare now, preparing for a blanket of snow to fall on them, hopefully anyway.
I love the simple pleasures of life, the things that can be enjoyed no matter if some "bug" has grabbed hold for the day and is not willing to let go.
As long as I have a window nearby, my life is filled with joy.
A cup of chicken soup awaits. Chicken soup is good medicine.

Comments

Popular Posts