A Chill In The Air



The cold north wind blew in in the early morning hours.  Thankful to my husband for getting wood stacked on the porch for each day.   Its a good feeling to have the wood shed full to the ceiling and know that we are set for the winter.  When you heat with wood only, its pretty important to be ready for winter !  
This morning, despite the chilly temp, we still sat on the porch and ate breakfast.  Dressed in our coats, laughing at ourselves for our love of the outdoor world.  A huge black vulture did a fly by, coming close enough to us, that we saw clearly his claws and serious eyes.  If we had been inside, we would have missed this, up close and personal encounter ! 
Despite the cold wind, its laundry day, so the bed linens are dancing around on the line, softened by the wind, and will bring the scent of the fresh air into our room tonight.   We will crawl into bed, sink down into the feather bed, and be covered with more down.  Perfect for sleep.  I suspect I will keep the window open a crack, as I most always do.  I love fresh air on my face as I sleep.   
This time of year, with the first cold winds, invigorates me, stirs in me, childhood memories of playing outside, warm mittens on my hands, rosy cheeks and always a warm hug when I came inside.  Life is good.  
Our daughter is on the mend, after her serious bout with a stomach virus that landed her in ICU.  Nothing is ever simple (sickness wise)  for type 1 diabetics.  Blood sugars go wacky just from being sick.  We feel blessed for good medical care and for having each other close by, to help each other out.  

Comments

aimee said…
My sibling heats with wood only now, and it's SO delightfully warm at their home (we have electric and I am always a bit cold here). Ah, hanging laundry outdoors to dry...I already miss that simple pleasure.
Blessings, Aimee
PS: Glad your daughter is better. Scary.
Rose said…
Dear Patty, its about this time three year's ago that i found your blog. You have given me so much pleasure in sharing moments of your life with other's. Your words are always a great comfort and inspiration, my faith has become stronger and continue's to grow with the help of people like yourself. Thank you so much, best wishes jackie x

Popular Posts