Comfortable In My Own Skin











 "Being comfortable in your own skin and content with your own company is a magical gift to yourself and everyone in your life."
~Patricia Alexander, Book of Comforts~

 Something occurred to me this morning as I was walking around our land and later sitting on the porch with my coffee, just watching the clouds go by.  That now, at nearly 60 years of age, I am truly comfortable in my own skin.  Measuring my success in life by my own goals and dreams, not by the ones out there in the world, telling me what the measuring stick looks like.  I am finally beyond those little moments of looking at other peoples lives and thinking, "I wish I had that .." whatever "that" happened to be at that moment.  It might not have been a material thing, it could have even be, having more children or more time.   But, in the last little while I realized with a completeness and contentment that has not been there before, a comfort in knowing I am right where I need to be, right where I want to be.  My spirituality is mine, and I am comfortable with where it is going.  My lifestyle, as eclectic as it is, is me.  We are living the life we sort of created without having much of a blueprint other than doing what we loved, what felt right for us. It honestly feels magical to us.  Each night, we sit together on the couch and laugh at how eccentric we are and how much happiness fills our lives.   Our children are amazing adults, our grandchildren are amazing children.  Creative little free spirits.  Full of imagination, intelligence and a freedom to be who they are.  Our children are great people, and that's what our life's mission has been, to create an atmosphere where our children could be comfortable in their own skins, long before we reached that point in life.  Our lifestyle reflects our desire to live uncomplicated lives.  To live without being tied to what mainstream USA tells us we have to have.  To see the wonder of creation in all that is around us, to be able to have time to be who we are meant to be, authentically.  I feel a bit like I have finally arrived home.  I have finally put to rest the need to wonder if I am doing it right.  I know for certain that I am doing "it" right for me.  A tailored life for me.  Made for me life.  A good fit and one that leaves me feeling so very comfortable and content.  Life is good.


Comments

Popular Posts