Learning To Be At Peace With Yourself



There are a lot of people in the world that are uncomfortable in their own skin. Not happy with who they are. Many cannot even sit in a quiet room alone because they need a diversion from their own thoughts.  I have been one of those people.
People run around busy. Compulsively cleaning house, talking on the phone for extended periods or numerous times in a day, shopping, over eating, running from one thing to another. Never having to stop long enough to listen to their own heart beat. Angry thoughts may crowd their mind, or they carry a grudge, or think about what she does or what he said, and never take time to take inventory of who they have become. Many spend time trying to guess what the other person is thinking, when in reality the other person wasn't even thinking of them !
It may seem painful at first to look deeply at ourselves. You may want to ask yourself some questions. Am I trying to copy people? Do I think out my own actions ? Do I constantly try to "be" someone else ? Perhaps do what others do and call it our own thoughts and actions ?
You may wish to sit alone quietly in a room. No music, no TV, no pets to distract you, face away from windows that may cause your mind to wander to what is happening outside.
Clear your mind of all the things you think you should be doing and look at who you are, what you are, what you know about yourself. If there are things you dislike, change them, work on them and make progress each day. If there are things that you like, consider them and think on those things for a bit. Feel good about the things you like within you. Decide what kind of person you want to be. And work on those things that you see need to be improved. Be comfortable in who you are. Make peace with yourself and don't mentally beat yourself up over past mistakes and shortcomings. Be at peace with yourself and you will find yourself being more compassionate and loving to others. It is a journey that never ends as one discovery leads to another.

Comments

Rose said…
Beautifully written, i have to admit this past year i have not been comfortable in my own skin, i find being on my own for long periods of the day, a little scary.
I use to love homemaking and keeping myself busy. I guess i need to look at my fear's and work on the positives. Best wishes jackie x
Anonymous said…
Yes, learning to be at peace with myself . I can totally relate to this. I found that I wanted to correct everybody all the time and I secretly hated it in me, though i could "justify " it . I finally figured out I was the one with problems I did not understand in myself, and lacked answers for me, so when I saw those faults in others I would try to correct in them what I could not correct in myself.It was when I had understanding of my own dilemmas that I had so much peace within, I no longer felt the need to correct others. That is when I finally rested with His nature in me.
Melanie said…
Absolutely, Patty! I am learning this more as I grow older. Perhaps that's what we call wisdom? ;-)
Maryanna212000 said…
Many things have changed in my life that makes me so uncomfortable. I am now in the senior moments of my life doing a divorce dealing with lots of hurtful things. There are so many things I don't like about myself. Finding real peace is such a challenge these days among the many decisions I have to make. We learn so much as we grow older. Thank you Patty for sharing!

Popular Posts