Weston Gardens







Come spring, I spend a lot of time tending my rose bushes and dreaming of the ones I want to add to my collection. Yesterday, Emery took me to Weston Gardens to purchase a couple of new bushes. This brings my total number of bushes to 3o I think. Would have to go out to the rose garden and count them to be sure. I was disappointed that they were out of a vigorous climber I wanted, "New Deal" so Emery ordered it this morning on line for me from


Now I can't wait for it to arrive. The bush can grow up to 20' and I have just the right place for it at the end of the south porch. Its a fragrant rose which means we shall have the wonderful scent of roses drifting by us as we sit on the porch each evening.

We are often told to "stop and smell the roses" in an attempt to slow down our hurried life and see the beauty around us. I guess that concept appeals to me on so many levels, and stopping to smell the roses is a true joy to me.

I am anxious to see my new rose bushes bloom. One is a David Austin bush, "Heritage" and the other new bush we found yesterday is called "The Star of The Republic" . Perhaps we should start calling our home, Rose Cottage ! It is a cottage home for sure, matching the official definition, "a small simple house, esp in a rural area" and yes, we have plenty of roses.

Simple living has nothing to do with denying oneself the pleasure of being surrounded by beauty. It has to do with taking time to smell the roses and not be so burdened down with having to keep up with the Joneses.

Comments

Kathy said…
I agree, simple living does not require giving up beauty. I sometimes think people have that misconception. I don't "live simple" as much as I would like, a lot of things are not possible for me. I can't even have a clothesline in my neighborhood, and I miss it so! However, one look at our beautifully created world and we know that our God surrounds himself with beauty, so certainly we are blessed when we do so,too, in the proper context. Enjoy every single rose!!!
Granny said…
I had several roses in Louisiana that I had ordered from Antique Rose Emporium and am excited about growing some once we get to TX. Can't wait to see pictures of yours growing.

Popular Posts