Over 80 m.p.h Straight Line winds and Tornados





In the wee hours of the morning, we were awakened with over 80 m.p.h. straight line winds and a phone call from Melanie telling us to take cover, that a tornado was due to arrive on our road in 20 seconds. No sirens blared as the city console was hit. The lightning flashes showed us a green sky, not a pale green but a sickly green. I have never been so scared in my entire life. Emery and I took shelter in an interior closet, praying for our home, our loved ones and for safety. Minutes felt like hours. When the worst was over and the roaring train sound stopped, we gingerly crept from our hiding place. A quick survey of the property showed a tree on the north side of the house had been split in two, the fallen side hanging on a power line that connects electricity from the electric pole to our house. The fire department came out to check it and put a call into the electric company. A dangerous situation that needs to be handled by the experts.

Friends have lost roof tops. Melanie has two huge trees down in her yard, both neighbor trees that fell into their yard. One hitting her garden shed and caving in the roof. Steven's house is fine but he did say his big gas grill was tossed about like a small toy. The juniper tree on our south fence line split in two, thankfully it fell into the yard rather than the opposite way, which would have hit Emery's car. We have heard of friends loosing roofs and walls to their houses and barns.

Praise God we are safe in His care.

I just heard the National Weather Service will be in our area today to survey the damage reports.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Patty, praising Our Lord with you! Thank you Father for allowing everyone to be safe and sound.

Patty, thank you for letting everyone know...I pray that the damage is something that can be repaired with a bit of effort.

In His care,

Mrs. M.
Carole said…
So glad that you and everybody is safe. It seems so scary, you were very lucky !
Delisa said…
Patty, I'm so happy you and your family are safe. What a terribly frightening experience. I will keep you in my prayers. I'm sorry you had the damage to your property and trees. I wish you all the best and hope that you never have to experience anything like that ever again. Delisa
Patty, I am glad that you and your family are safe. So scarey. Nancy
Anonymous said…
Oh Patty, I am so glad everyone is ok. I thought about ya'll this morning when I heard there was bad weather in the area. We have friends that live in Rio Vista and they also had some damage.

Living in Oklahoma has given me a new respect for tornadoes and those awful straight line winds. We definitely take heed when the wind shifts in a certain way.

Grace & Peace
Dawn said…
Here in Grand Prairie, we didn't have any tornados hit. But the storm did wake me up out of a dead sleep. I thought someone was breaking into our house at first.
We had a bunch of wind and rain and poof, it was gone, heading down towards ya'll.

Heard Grandview and some folks from the church their had some damage (roofs blown off, porches knocked down, barns astray).

And it's just the beginning of storm season here...

Popular Posts