An Afternoon Ramble



Once in a while I need a reality check. I am human, all too human at times and fall prey to the modern concept of how we paint a picture of success I watched Oprah today since I seem to have sprained my ankle when Maddox ran up the stairs just a second before me and caused me to trip. He is fine, but my ankle is a tad bit sore today. But perhaps this little pain turned into something very valuable. I was sitting on the sofa with some ice on my ankle watching Oprah when the show turned out to be the very reminder I needed to see. The show was about Tom Shadyac's story THE HOLLYWOOD SHOCKER: FROM MULTIMILLIONAIRE TO MOBILE HOME Some of the points he made and some of the things he talked about just hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew that, I know that, I believe that, but I also get off track from time to time. God is good, He finds a way to bring me back around just when I need it. All this week I have been feeling discontent, not in the way most people use the word discontent. But for me, we have been spending more than usual, buying things we have had on our list of "wants" for a while now, but strangely, I felt more empty from all this shopping. The new stuff, although not very frivolous, just didn't up the happiness level at all.

It is said that to be authentic, we need to be the author of our own lives and I believe that to an extent. I think God has to be the editor for what we write. But what is the authentic me ? I know what it is, but its just so off the beaten path and so not in accord with the majority mindset that I shrink back from living it from time to time.

I like to keep it simple which more often than not, is not on the scale for successful living.

Guess I will just have to get back on the narrow path once again.


Matthew 6: 19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Comments

Always Learning said…
Such a good reminder! So easy to get caught up in stuff...It is in loving God and serving God that we find our greatest fulfillment.
Anonymous said…
Dear Patty,

I believe that Our Lord uses everything to bring us back to the right path.

How good it is that you are finding your way back :0

Mrs. M.
Unknown said…
This post definitely struck a note with me! Especially this part ~ "But what is the authentic me ? I know what it is, but its just so off the beaten path and so not in accord with the majority mindset that I shrink back from living it from time to time. " i do that so often. i think i have to live or at least look as if i'm living like most people even if that is not the way i want to live. Thanks for the reminder to be the real me!

Popular Posts