Nearly Two Weeks Eating Raw

There are times in our lives when we have to eat our words and everything I have ever thought or said about eating raw, is turning out to be opposite of what is my new reality.
For a long time now, years actually, I have felt this nudging feeling that I needed to be eating a raw diet, instead of paying attention to that nudging, I ignored it and frankly just made fun of the very idea of eating just raw and living foods, vegetarian of course.

Then one day two weeks ago, Emery and I were at a book store and right in front of me what the cookbook, or is that cook-less book, by Alissa Cohen titled, "Raw Food For Everyone" . Emery said, why don't we just get the book and give this way of eating a try. So we did. Within two days of eating raw, I felt better, not that I felt bad per say, but I felt lighter, had a ton more energy and just felt clearer in my thinking. To be fair, I had one day where I had a headache most of the day and it was probably due to cleansing, but it wasn't a bad headache or anything. We have always eaten with care, but I was a complete sweet-aholic. Candy was my friend ! And I am overweight which in all fairness was due largely in part to a very low functioning thyroid and then the rest of the reason I am overweight had to do with loving candy and sweets in general. I have been loosing weight slowly since going on thyroid medication but it was not moving as fast as I wanted it to. The older you get, the more being overweight affects how fast you move and how agile you are. I do not like being limited in any way. Doing Yoga was not as easy as it was in years past !
In the first week of eating raw, I lost 6 1/2 lbs. I have NEVER felt hungry, except in the morning when I first wake up. I have not had a single craving for any kind of food, including candy or sugar. Its been so much fun creating new foods. I have enjoyed being in the kitchen preparing meals with a new zeal. Emery says he feels 5 years younger. He is pretty thin and I was worried about him loosing weight, but he hasn't. I keep loosing at about 1/2 lb - 3/4 lb a day. I have not been exercising much since we have had the coldest weather in years but still the weight is dropping off effortlessly. I am spending a lot of time preparing food, the kitchen seems to be the room I am in most these days, but its been fun.
We did go out for Chinese New Years and I ate the food at the restaurant and so did Emery. Both of us woke up the next morning feeling sluggish, actually we both realized we had felt that way often before going Raw. I had said in the beginning I would do this for a month, now I keep thinking 6 months, and who knows, it may be longer. I plan on one cooked food each week. Last week it was quinoa with raw "spaghetti sauce" on it. It was delicious.
Our diet now includes things like cheese spreads made from cashews and fresh dill and "bacon" made from eggplant. We love it and love how we are feeling.
Life just keeps getting better and better.

Comments

Marcie said…
I haven't gone raw, but like to add raw days to my nearly vegan diet. I look forward to reading more about your experience with it!
Delisa said…
Your new eating plan sound very appetizing. It has me thinking about how I might add more fresh produce in our diet. I have to take blood thinning medication due to a rare condition I have which causes me to develop blood clots, so any green veg. is off limits to me. I can eat a little, but not every day and not enough to support a whole diet, or it puts me at risk. I have lost about 25 pounds this last year, just by focusing in on eating only when I was hungry. I was surprised at how little food I really needed to feel satisfied. Even though I'm eating less, it is often things that are not as healthy for me. You have inspired me, I'm going to make up a menu for this week and try to add some raw foods. Have a nice week ahead. Delisa :)
Cherie said…
I've been a vegetarian for years and recently did a 21-day vegan challenge. I really liked being vegan and plan to go back to it for the most part. I'm going to be what's called a "gentle vegan" as I won't be militant about it when I'm eating away from home.

Raw eating has always intrigued me and your post has nudged me in that direction. The raw books I've seen in the past just seemed too complicated. I'm going to look into your book recommendation.
Debra said…
I am glad it is going so well for you! I just reviewed a book called Raw Fusion. The premise is that when you eat a cooked meal mix it with raw things- like you did with quinoa and the raw spaghetti sauce- I like pizza this way- a sprouted wheat pizza crust topped with my macadamia nut cream cheese, dried and fresh tomatoes, olives and other veggies.. Yum!
Anonymous said…
I stumbled upon your blog, and I really like it. Since we moved from Sweden to Texas half a year ago my husband has had the best time of his life enjoying the Texas beef, so I don't think I would make myself very popular at home if I insisted on going green. (Raw is OK with him, I guess, as long as it is beef... LOL)
At many times I miss more vegetables in our diet though.
I also miss all the asian food I used to eat in Sweden, so I am very interested in the Asian market you're mentioning in the Chinese New Year post. Where is it? I so much miss Chineese tea!

Erika
Patty said…
Hi Erika,
The Chinese market we go to is in the Dallas Ft Worth area (Grand Prairie). Its called Hong Kong market. I think there are a few of them in Texas.
If you do a search for Hong Kong Market Texas, you may find that one is in your area.
Anonymous said…
Thank you very much! I'll try that.
We're not too far from Dallas/Ft Worth.
/Erika
Patty said…
Erika, we are south of Ft Worth so perhaps we are not too far from one another

Popular Posts