Meditation, what is your reaction to the word ?

I meditate, and often. Complete with incense, silence and sitting on the floor. I guess I meditate in the stereotypical form. That frightens some folks who are very set in their mindset, filled with fear they will turn into some cotton gauze wearing guru. Prayer and meditation go hand in hand for me. A quiet time, set apart, silence that allows you to hear that small still voice. We all need to withdraw from the ordinary, the busy-ness of life and find that quiet in our mind where we can find that place of peace. In the beginning stage of my meditation time, I reflect on the day, or this time in my life, the things that challenge me, try me, pull me away from what I know is the direction I need to be heading. It is a time where I get back on track, reflect on what trips me up, and then look deep into my heart and see the way I should be looking at things. Am I angry ? Am I jealous of someone ?
Am I loosing sight of being compassionate ? Is apathy filling me ? If so, I consciously seek to gain a better attitude, I pray for vision and help. But without this quiet time, this pulling away from the busy-ness, my vision is so limited, so filled in by the pressing in of what is happening around me and to me.
Don't be afraid of the word meditation, its a wonderful preface to prayer time.

The photo is of the wonderful lotus candle holder that my best friend Debbie gave me for Christmas this year. It is lighting a dark corner of the room on this cold icy winter night

Comments

Carol Murdock said…
Meditation brings to my mind the
verse..." Be Still and Know That I Am Lord"
Val said…
I love this. What a reminder for us to stop and take a few minutes to ponder. Thank you.

Popular Posts