I Wonder.....

This morning I woke up wondering about all the experts we seem to be bombarded with these days. People telling us how to eat, sleep, love, feel, pray, worship God, raise our children, decorate our homes inside and out. What things to keep and what not to keep. How to spend our time, how to spend our money, how to do laundry, how to organize our kitchens, how to shop, how not to shop, and on and on. The Internet, the television with the myriad of stations available, along with glossy magazines and books tell us how to live. If we buy into all those methods of expert advice pretty soon we are little more than robots doing the things we are told and completely forgetting how to live on our own. Makes you wonder how in the world this country could have been settled without all the experts we have today telling them what to do.
I woke up this morning, not with buyers remorse but with a tinge of that "WHOA" feeling, like life was moving too fast in regard to change. I love my new living room look and the excitement that goes along with having new things, but at the same time I felt this loss sort of feeling for the way things were. I am 99% certain I would not have made the changes if there was no decorating shows on television, no decorating magazines, no experts telling me about the dangers of not changing as you get older, no stores that make you say things like, "oh I wish I had that". The modern Gurus of our time preach about contentment etc but speak from homes that show there was lots of shopping going on to get them that way. You watch cooking shows on television or buy some cooking magazine and suddenly you feel like you can't possibly make good bread like your grandmother made unless you have some fancy gadget ! Hummm, lets think that one through. Your grandmother had a bowl, a spoon, strong hands and an oven she knew well despite its temperamental ways.
I woke up with resolve to keep my little front room, old fashioned and filled with stuff I love. I don't care if it won't ever make the cover of a magazine or make those designers cringe if they ever saw it. I am going to keep the wood stove burning in the more contemporary living room no matter if it "doesn't fit" the decor. I am going to have a contemporary room and an early American room, and a colonial dining room, and a functional kitchen right along with a couple rooms that frankly don't meet any criteria for one style. I am going to admit that we needed a new sofa, the other one was not very old but it was poorly made and when you sat in it, the pillow back, sort of devoured you. These pillows had minds of their own, never staying like they should. They formed their own shape, despite your shape. There was not one thing comfortable about it and we tried replacing the stuffing of the pillows with everything you can imagine, except straw ! We bought our new furniture on sale, about 50 % off. But then I decided that we couldn't use the old area rug any more and we needed a new lamp and the kerosene lamp on the wall needed to go....you see I had been watching the experts on the home decorating channel and looking on line for beautiful rooms. I changed some art work too.
Compared to what the experts say to spend, we are way way way under budget but....do we honestly need so many experts in our lives to tell us how to live our lives ?
The little front room is going to stay my haven for old time things. Lit by lamp light, cradle by the window, old cedar chest surrounded by baskets of wool and the pewter coffee set sitting on top. My rocker in the corner with the spinning wheel next to it. The quilting frame against the long wall. This room doesn't "match" the living room which I am sure is some major decorating faux pas. But it works for me and after all I live here. In this world with so many experts we might just have the risk of loosing the ability to think for ourselves. We might be raising up a generation that thinks you have to do it only the way the experts say or no way at all. With all this talk of being your best self etc, we are still listening to others tell us what that is for us and they don't even know us ! Maybe, just maybe people would not have felt the need to over-spend so much if we didn't listen to the experts tell us how big a house we needed or how we had to have it decorated with top of the line counter tops and stoves like we see on television, the Internet and in magazines.
Lets not fall prey to all the experts, but lets rediscover what the independent thinker can do.
Maybe its time to be our own trail-blazers once again in life. I am feeling rebellious and plan on combining styles despite what the experts say : )
Time to get off this computer and gather some wood to heat this house.

Comments

Renee said…
I always make sure I have my tea or coffee in the am before reading your posts. I want to be clear headed when I stop by as I know I often will find thought provoking, stimulating, wonderful posts!

I can't wait to see your pictures of the new look. Whatever and however you decorate, I know your home will be warm, loving and inviting as it relfects the qualities of you and your family!
cheryl said…
Your post this morning is so true , what a world we live in where Oprah gaining 40 lbs. warrants an hour on Larry King ! I can think of a lot more important things that could be discussed . I , like you , have always been different , same furniture for 25 - 30 years , same huband too , looking for new furniture will keep husband !
Patty said…
Hi Cheryl, with the weight epidemic in this country, I suspect we need many hours of information on what to do about being overweight : )
Lucy said…
Patty, I once visited a home of a german couple who had me in to design their kitchen. They showed me over their beautiful home - rooms with a few beautiful antique pieces in a lot of empty space, very calming and old fashioned. And then, at the top of the house, their "den", overflowing with cushions, futons, a hammock in the window, big screen tv, brilliant white walls - it was a shock, but totally marvellous. They did what they wanted, and I think you should do what you want, combining whatever looks and feels add up to something that suits your needs and delights you eyes.
Leanne said…
HI
I'd love to see a photo of your quilting frame if at all possible & how you use it.

Thanks

Love Leanne
Patty said…
Hi Leanne,
you can clip and copy this link to see a picture of my quilting frame

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/2006/02/quilting-frame-and-more-fabric.html
I enjoy your posts, but this one really hit the 'nail' on the head.
I agree - trust our instincts more and be influenced much less by those who 'do not walk in our shoes' or our homes and lives!
I enjoy your garden photos, as mine just came out from under a foot of snow. It looks a little 'tired', but the kale, chard and snowdrops are doing well. I don't ask for more in the first week of January in a northern climate!
nancyr said…
I think "eclectic" decorating is the best! We are all unique and shouldn't have to "fit the mold" that someone else tells us is best for us! I think decorators have an agenda! It is to let us think we NEED new "stuff" every few years.

I decorated the master bedroom in country/Victorian style over 20 years ago, and I absolutely loved it. Most people who saw it loved it, too. Then, I started watching HGTV and the decorating shows, and was convinced I need to modernize the room. So I started stripping the wallpaper and there was no turning back. It made me sad! I do love the new look, but it is still rather country, with white bead board wainscoting, and chair rail molding. I love all of the doors painted white, and the navy blue paint above the bead board. But, a part of me is angry at myself for "buying the hype" that I had to redecorate.

Enjoy your new furniture, but keep the accents that you have loved and been comfortable with. They are a part of your personality.
Thanks for posting that. I thought it was very insightful! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished room!! :)
Lisa said…
Enjoyed this post! I choose what is "me" and what I like while considering what works for my husband and children. I don't care about labels or styles and don't decorate to fit any of that. I have several old things that belonged to family members. I keep them because of what they are AND because I like them. I add in new things when there's a reason and work towards an overall pleasing look even if it's all very different stuff. I have been working towards calm, peaceful, and mostly neutral in my bathroom and bedroom design while my daughters have painted their rooms turquoise, lime green, and purple! It all works because it's "us". I hosted a going away party for a mom and her children. More than one friend walked through my house and said it was "So Lisa". One gal said if she walked in my house and didn't know it was mine beforehand, she would as soon as she saw the inside. I think your house is starting to reflect the many facets of your personality Pat and it's going to be beautiful!
Never Settle said…
"Progress" doesn't always make things better or easier. It can sometimes be destructive. That goes for taking the advice of too many "experts."

The theory of evolution says that if you don't use it, you lose it. Do you think that will be the case with our minds... our intuition... our creativity?

The flood of so called experts in the media leave many people with the feeling/belief that they aren't capable of making sound decisions for themselves, their family, their home, their faith, etc.

I love your blog because in sharing bits of your 'simple' lifestyle... your ramblings, it pulls at something in me to dig deeper into my mind and heart and keeps me in touch with and renews my faith.

Thank you and God bless you. :o)
Patty I love this post and feel reassured after reading it that I'm not the only who gets caught up and re-examines and everything that goes along with it. Thanks for your continued wisdom and years! It's nice to feel my thoughts so eloquently match those of someone else.

Popular Posts