Its Cold Out There




After having two days in the 80's, this mornings 28 with the wind chill of 17 at times, makes it feel mighty cold out there. My hands were beet red in the biting cold as I snapped a few pictures after chores were done. It was worth the fumbling with chains and snap locks to have warm hands in fuzzy work gloves but they don't work for changing settings on the camera.
Cats seeking warmth in the hay barn and the goats glad to be back in their barn after being fed in the milk barn. In the house, warmth grows as you head down the hall towards the living room where the wood stove does its job. I stand close beside it, turning to warm each side of me, thawing out. Coffee brewing in the kitchen. Winter is back once again.
It is a calm and peaceful morning....music drawing me into a place of serenity. Soft notes, the kind that linger a moment in your mind as if you could savour each one separately but breath them in, with a delicate harmony. Incense filling the air with a woodsy scent, reminiscent of times spent walking in Maine woods. The new earth tones of the room, suit me. Natures hues nurturing my soul.
It is this very kind of experience, this very moment in time, this kind of stress-less existence that I have sought to foster on our road taken. It is poetry in motion. It is tangible. It is so full. It is a gentle stream. It is surrounded by love and an ever present spiritual cord that keeps things bound in a comforting order. I love where I am in life, even on this cold winter morning, which seems so intense after two very summer like days.

Comments

grbev said…
Patty,

Your last paragraph just caught me up and blew me away! What beautiful writing. As an English major and a former editor, I can tell you honestly that you have such talent for expressing yourself. Thank you so much for sharing!

Bev
Jan said…
Hi Patty,
We,here in the Maine woods are headed into another weekend of artic weather...brrr. With temps below zero and wind chill even lower we will hang out inside and be warm by the fire. My sweet husband reminded me, honey, there's only 90 days more of this and then its spring. I can hang on.
Patty said…
Thanks Bev, your words mean a lot to me.
Patty said…
Hi Jan, I was talking to our daughter Melissa this morning in Vermont and she has the days of winter numbered !
I'm still astonished that there is so much green in your landscape in the middle of winter. Love the cat photos.

Popular Posts